Is there a Weed Library somewhere on the web?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Is there a Weed Library somewhere on the web?

Post by FreakyCola »

I have a plant in an area where I planted a lot of different perennials in a hurry at the end of summer 2 years ago that I think is probably a weed. I don't have a digi & it'd be silly trying to describe it.

I will say it has yellow flowers. I found one that was done blooming and it looked like it only had 4 petals, but the pistel was pretty neat looking. Looked like a starfish. I thought that might be enough of a hint for someone to suggest something. There's another bud that looks like it will bloom tomorrow so I'll try to see it. Hope I figure it out then.

I did a google search for weeds with yellow flowers but couldn't find anything similar.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm:.....Where's Patruska when you need her?

I'm thinking it's a weed, too....
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

janet

Post by janet »

There's also this one:

http://www.weedalert.com/index.html

If you look for yellow flowering wildflowers, it will be easier to find. They are more often listed by flower color and type. Are you sure it has four petals, not five?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have a terrible time trying to tell a weed from a plant that I want....especially if it's a pretty weed. So thanks to both Janets for the links to the websites. I've bookmarked them for future use. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Finally saw it in bloom today. The flower looks like a yellow primrose. Is there a loosestrife with a flower like that?

The stems came up off a rosette of leaves earlier this summer, but now the stems have spread out along the ground about 8" or so then they stand up. A week or so ago they were all standing straight up, now they've spread out along the ground more. The whole thing lays over an area about 4'x4'. The stems have a lot of space between leaves then at the top there's a bunch of greenery and yellow kinda balloon buds.

Sound familiar to anyone? I'm about 99% sure this isn't any perennial I planted.
jebouck

Post by jebouck »

Might be "Creeping Buttercup"
I've been at war with this weed for years.
You can look it up at http://www.weedalert.com/index.html to see if this is your weed.
jb
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Found my weed-it's yellow loosestrife or Lysimachia punctata. I kinda recall planting one, but the info I got says it's 1-2' tall and this is over 5'!

Thanks everyone for your help & links.
New Topic Post Reply