ID this please?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Becky in PA

ID this please?

Post by Becky in PA »

I'm sure everyone knows this but me. It's like asking someone to ID a dandelion! :oops: But, I don't know what it is so pleeze elp me! It's growing in my meadow, which is a mix of wildflowers and "domesticated" flowers. People give me things and I have no idea what they are and a year or two later I have a mystery flower!
Attachments
yellowmeadowflower.jpg
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Golden Loosestrife!
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

:o I cant beleive I'm seeing this! I have seen these everywhere the last couple of days, and wondered what they were! :D :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Becky in PA

Post by Becky in PA »

Deb, thank you! I don't feel so dumb!!

OED, when I was trying to key it out in my wildflower book, I kept coming up with loosestrife, but it just didn't look exactly like it did in the pictures! I'll have to go look again, at golden loosestrife.
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Do a google search for yellow lysimachia and you will find pics very similar to your plant (if yellow loosestrife doesnt' turn anything up for you).
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Try Garden Loostrife. I think that's another name. Don't know the Botanical name though.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

:o Did she just call me dumb? :eek:
j/k Becky ;) :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Becky in PA

Post by Becky in PA »

:oops: Deb!
Becky in PA

Post by Becky in PA »

I followed Dee's advice and checked on line. I think it's Lysimachia vulgaris (which is not in my wildflower guide!), also called, garden loosestrife, golden loosestrife, yellow loosestrife, and yellow rocket. [/code]
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Becky and Deb, I don't think I have ever seen it before. It sure is pretty.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Lysimachia punctata I believe
triscuit

L. punctata or L. vulgaris?

Post by triscuit »

Okanagan wrote:Lysimachia punctata I believe
Well, I am in the same boat, or, um... field here. I have the same plant as the picture above, and a neighbor who would love to have some. However, Lysimachia vulgaris is considered an invasive, and Lysimachia punctata is considered a native wildflower in Maine.

So, can anyone tell me for sure which is which? From my own research I believe, that with the whorled leaves and flowers close to an single stalk, that my specimen is L. punctata. However, I don't want to take the chance and accidently distribute a harmful invasive!

Any ideas?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The picture above looks more like pictures I looked at of Lysimachia vulgaris. I grow Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander', a variegeted cultivar, and the flower and foliage is held differently from the picture here. Like you described, they are more whorled and closer to the leaves along the stem on punctata.
Attachments
Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander'
Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander'
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

This site http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/gal ... index.html has pretty clear pictures of the two (as well as lots of others: definitely a site to bookmark!). Yours looks exactly like l. punctata.

It's not a U.S. native and will spread, but I guess not as aggressively as the other.

Chris, we have Alexander planted and like it a lot. Does yours sport green a lot? In reality, the flowers show up better on the all-green bits, but the variegated plant is nice season-long.
Becky in PA

Post by Becky in PA »

This is very cool, to see a thread I posted a year ago come back to life! I'm pretty sure mine is L. punctata. I saw from the Connecticut website that they are both introduced from Europe, but I guess the punctata is more polite. I love that variegated one!
Becky in PA
(slowly getting back to thinking about gardening)
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

No one else wants to address this, then I will.

Yellow loosestrife is very invaisive :eek: in the right conditions.

Not even the heavy clay soil mine is growing in can hold it back. If you want to erradicate it, use Round up or make sure you dig out every centimeter of root because it regenerates from root cuttings easily.

Good Luck! :wink:
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply