New project starting in am

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Justaysam

New project starting in am

Post by Justaysam »

Ripout time! 1st phase, to ripout all that is in the yellow circle. There is a flat evergreen that creeps along the ground, and all those spirea and all the daylilies and weeds in front of them. I'll take another pic after the nursery guys come and get it cleared out. Next they will bring a truck load of planting mix, then my fun starts. The redbud stays and the pine on the right. Looks like hosta heaven for under there, what do you think? DH is getting a little tired of hosta, silly man. What else would he think I would plant in there under all that nice shade? I want a bench in there under the redbud, with some nice mulch, so I don't disturb the redbud roots. Only problem is in the center, once the spirea are gone, you will see the garbage cans. So maybe a nice slow growing dwarf evergreen for up front in the center of the 2 trees? DH wants more rock bordering the front, I want stone edgers, lets see who wins, LOL.
Attachments
ripout4.jpg
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It sounds really nice, Linda! :cool: The two trees are beautiful. 8-) I'll be looking forward to updates on your progress. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How fun is that going to be?! Cool!! Lucky you....you have trees!:lol:

I'll be watching, too!! :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sure it will look fantastic when you're done. Please do show updated pics now and then. We love seeing a work in progress. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Can't wait to see it as you go along, and I place my bet on you to win!

Ginger
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looks like it could be a perfect place for hostas :D

So what's the differense between the rocks and the stones :hmm: ...can any of them raise the bed a foot ?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Pia, the landscape stones are a more finished, more formal look. They will bring 10 yards of planting mix and berm up the area next. I think I am giving in to the larges rock edging. This is a very informal place, and I think it better to stay with the feel of the nieghborhood. I had them leave me the spirea, I may put a few back into this area once I cut them back, the rest can go out back on the sides of the ravines.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Large rocks will be nice there...thanks for the explanation :D
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm sorry, I should have said edgers, those square, stackable things. I think the large stones will work best. This project is getting expensive. It looks nice all cleaned out though. The yards of planting mix, a 5-6ft hemlock and mulch are coming on Mon. Then the remainder of my potted hosta go in under the redbud and pine, and I think that is it until spring. I can't see spending more money on plants, when we have had such terrible drought. I'm waiting till spring, if I can resist, and maybe I will get healthier plants. I'll take another pic in the am. I gave most of the bushes back to the guy we bought the house from, and only kept 6 to replant.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

That's going to be a fun bed to design! I think the idea of the bench in there is great! I can't wait to see pictures in progress!! :)

I too stopped buying plants this year because of the drought. It's kind of a nice feeling not to have 60 potted hostas waiting for a home until the last minute! :lol: It's also given me the opportunity to spend time on other garden projects that have been getting pushed aside.
New Topic Post Reply