Rusty Iron Junk

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Mary Ann

Rusty Iron Junk

Post by Mary Ann »

Linda and others love the look of it and use it to decorate their gardens. What is the appeal? To me it looks old and junky and needing to be sanded and refinished. Clue me in. :D
Attachments
Rusted metal sculpture - what to do?
Rusted metal sculpture - what to do?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Mainly that's it's aged naturally I would think. I don't use a lot of bright colorful things in the gardens (except maybe the reddish stains on wood structures and very few baubles). I'd rather have natural stones and naturally aged items for the other stuff. I appreciate others whimsy things that are bright in their gardens.

I guess the differences in all our choices is what makes us all appreciate everyone's pretty equally. If they all had brights, pastels, or naturally aged, life would be very boring :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Yip
It is the patina of age that does it for me
Moss on lanterns does the same thing
It all gives the feeling of 'being there for ever' and thus contents the soul and eases the mind
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Sam, you said it well. In my case, the stuff has been here for ages. Someone who lived here many years ago used to leave old machinery parts and such lying around wherever he dropped them. When I'm making new beds, I always end up digging up rusty metal stuff. I just started collecting it and placing it here and there in my garden. I think of it as unburied treasure. I concede that it's not for everyone. My garden is very informal, and I do live on a working farm. Somehow the old pieces of implements seem to fit, tying the garden of today to the past life of the land.
I'm not crazy about the newly rusted sculptures and things that are appearing all over these days. I'll take a hunk of plow that has been rusting naturally in the ground for decades over the faux rust any day. I like genuine old rusty stuff, and there's no accounting for it. (Might help explain why I'm still married after 40 years to my genuine old farmer... :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

In our current "throw-away" society it's nice to see things like this being used and recycled. So much better than filling up the land fills. I , myself, don't have an eye for design and placement of things, but I sure do appreciate what others have done. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I use a few old implements in my garden also, and they are rusty, but I am like Mary Ann, some of them are going to get painted. I don't plant a lot of color in my beds since I have mostly Hosta, so I like the big splashes of color in my garden "art" :wink:

Ginger
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

No, you're all wrong. The rusty metal junk is there so a cat can get a good face rub! That's why Thelma makes me put them in the garden
Attachments
Oh, yeah!  That's whisker-lickin' good!
Oh, yeah! That's whisker-lickin' good!
Ooo, this one look good!
Ooo, this one look good!
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Dear Clueless: Only the chimina has a purpose....the rest is jus garden goo gahs similar to bowling balls. It's another eye candy thing. Beauty in the eye of the beholder. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
jurRUSTICpark.jpg
fire bug support group.jpg
fire bug support group.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
best kinda snail.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

OK, I get it now. A suburban home doesn't have the right characteristics for plows or tractor parts but other rusted art might blend in nicely. I do like weathered wood and shabby chic. My windmill suggests a simpler life but gets a fresh coat of paint each year. New statuary and containers are faux painted to appear well used and loved.

The rusty metal sculpture pictured above will get painted black, like a silhouette. Other crusted pieces get a lite finish of gold . . . .this pleases my eye. I don't have to like rust.

Mary Ann, with lots of patina (wrinkles and gravity).
Attachments
This used to be rusty, now it's goldy.
This used to be rusty, now it's goldy.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:lol: :lol: Mary Ann

G
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

Some of my iron, I have 17 tons of this which is antique cooperage equipment. It was used to make Bourbon barrels and since we live in the heart of the bourbon industry, it dovetails nicely here. Also our yard is as big as we have the energy to make it, up to 48 acres but that will never happen, it gets to be a chore as it is. Still we didn't drop this in on a subdivision lot. It was out in full sun where it had been for a number of years, now it gets some shade and a beautiful lichen is growing over it. Hard to imagine but maybe the whole thing will turn a beautiful green. Even if there isn't a full coverage, it will play good off of the brown rusty part.
Attachments
I realise it's not for everyone, but I think the green is gorgeous
I realise it's not for everyone, but I think the green is gorgeous
part of a stave shaper, the stave was held by the clamps and cut by the big wheel
part of a stave shaper, the stave was held by the clamps and cut by the big wheel
A stave shaper
A stave shaper
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
Even their breath is recycled into the whole.....
New Topic Post Reply