There's a Fungus Amongst US! :)

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

There's a Fungus Amongst US! :)

Post by wishiwere »

Anyone have any idea what type these are? The dark, dh says they used to call puff balls? I thought it was a turd from the neighbor lab (too large for my girls! :)
Attachments
fungus 4.jpg
My shoe didn't cover the top of this one!
My shoe didn't cover the top of this one!
fungus 1.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I've always thought the fungi were pretty neat but about the only ones I can safely identify is the morels and puffballs. None of those are either. Puffballs are very round and don't have a stalk.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

3 more of unknown origin. And to think of the dry summer we had! :o
Attachments
These when they die back, leave a burned look to the grassy area around them. It's pitch black.
These when they die back, leave a burned look to the grassy area around them. It's pitch black.
fungus 6.jpg
fungus 2.jpg
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Sorry, thought I'd get that black posted before any read this! :D

This one is funny looking in that it's got texture, but the one I kicked today and another I ran over with the mower caused a black smoke like substance to blow up from them.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

The black one that puffed "smoke" is a puffball mushroom, and now you know why! :o
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

The first one looks like a shaggy inkcap, which is edible if you pick them early, but be careful because there are poisonous lookalikes. The 2nd is a fascinating one with a long history called fly agaric. Most guides list it as poisonous, and it can be to small animals, but it is known for it's psychedelic and hallucinogenic properties. It has been used by cultures for thousands of years for enhancing spiritual experiences. It was fed to the reindeer by the laplanders to mellow them out and make them easier to herd, and it was eaten by the Vikings before going into battle to make them more fearless!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very interesting , Buckeye! So you're our resident mushroom expert, huh? :)
Pretty cool looking mushrooms, but I have the black big ones also in my yard. They do look like some massive creature took a dump. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

But do your grow on trees? Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
mushroom hi in tree.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Firs one can you eat, but only after it is fried and do not drink alcohol at the same dinner, there are ones more slippy who do not contain antabus

4 one looks like a Morkel ( Danish), it is very good, but please check it out before you eat it... I am not familar with your area

5 one looks like a stinky one..at least here, check it out and if it is get rid of it before it stinks all over your garden

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I found some in the lot next to us that were a rawhide colored brown and low growing, but they also seemed to follow a crooked line in the yard. It was almost like they were attached to an undergrown root system. I thought it could have been attached to/or feeding off from the dead roots of a tree I had cut down in the spring. There was a line of them about 10-12 feet long. CHAR

Also some pics of a couple of others I found. So very interesting.
Attachments
9-22-05 014a.JPG
9-30-05 067.jpg
New Topic Post Reply