Winter Sowing Project

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Winter Sowing Project

Post by mommatina »

I don't know if anyone else here does this type of winter soeing.. This is my first year.. I have 28 different types of seeds... I hope to have a few sprouts this spring... everything from a to z....
Attachments
HPIM0579.JPG
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

I haven't done it yet, but have all the stuff. Had a bag of MG sitting on the deck for a long time, frozen stiff, finally brought it in to thaw.

Even though I HAD seeds, I bought more last night :lol:

Now to just actually do it...
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

jay dee

winter sowing

Post by jay dee »

I have about a dozen containers sitting outside - even a few hosta seed in there. My problem - I have no clue where I would put everything if it comes up. This is my first time and I just had to try it.

jay dee
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

I've got some started also, Tina. Not as many as you do though :o I am hoping for some sprouts also. :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I have about 18 hosta seeds I just started, and I have more to do. I have them under lights in my little green house. I did some last winter and a few of them came up.I am waiting to see how those do this year. One of them from last year, Sea Lightening, is coming up pretty well and it is striped. It is such fun to do.Also went to Costco today and you know what that means. Their bare root plants are in so I came home with a Clematis and H. Scooter and a heuchera I hadn't heard of before, Rachel. Come on Spring!!
Lovin' the great northwest!
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

I've been winter sowing for the past two years. I have only a few containers started so far, will do most of them next month. For now I'm collecting & preparing my containers. I bought a bunch of seed starting mix when it was on sale in the fall so I won't have to go hunting for it in February. (I just have to haul it in from outside to thaw out before I can use it :lol:)
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I did a whole mess of seeds that I got from NARGS that way. Most needed the cold period, so I planted them and kept them outdoors in a cold frame partially opened all winter long. Some didn't germinate at all, but on other things I had great luck just leaving them in the cold and ignoring them.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Ha! Finally got some containers done!

Phlox
Alyssum
Barberry
Cosmos
Wildflower Mix

Got more containers, potting mix, and seeds, just need some more free time!
My Page

Soummer

Post by Soummer »

And today I sowed:

Cockscomb
Sweet Peas
Candytuft
Petunias

This is fun!
My Page

mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

I have been away for a while.. But I checked on my containers when we got home on Wed.... I have one container that has sprouts already....Hollyhock, dianthus and soapwort... WOW.. even under about 6 inches of snow the looked great.....In the house I have red cannas, love in a puff, nicotina and datura coming up... I have never had any luck with planting seeds outdoors, but this seems to be going great so far.....
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Yeah for you! Sprouts! How I wish :roll: :D

No sprouts here, it hasn't been warm enough to thaw the soil for more than an hour or two here and there. Always back to subfreezing temps at night. :frosty:

Today I sowed blue, red, and pastel columbine; iceland poppy; shasta daisy; iris; white candytuft; and zinna.
My Page

Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Oh, my. I think I'm too lazy to go out in the cold to see how they're doing. But I'm proud of you all who have done it!

BTW, my dining room used to be full of seedlings. This year I've only started morning glories and the grandkids are growing carrots in a huge pot.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply