Dummy here needs your help....

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Dummy here needs your help....

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

My rose arbor is assembled. It came with spikes to hold it in the ground. Those spikes aren't really very thick or long and believe me they won't anchor that arbor into the ground. So I got online and went to Hoover Fencing and saw these really good anchors. I measured my arbor posts and they are only 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" and the anchors at Hoover won't fit. How do I anchor this thing to the ground?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I'm guessing the legs are hollow. Get some rebar from Home Depot, etc. drive 3ft pieces about halfway into the ground and put the hollow legs over them. You can take anothe piece of rebar and bend it into a hard J shape. Hook the small end over lower "crossbars" on the trellis as you drive them into the ground. One on each side should do.
Midnight Reiter Too

rebar "a steel rod with ridges for use in reinforced concrete"

LOL. I had to look that up. If it's anything like the post in my yard that my daughter tried to push (it sprang back and smacked her in the face), there "ain't" no way to bend it into a "J". It's too thick.

If only wooden posts came small enough to fit inside the hollow posts. I could set them in concrete in a hole like we did the wood mailbox post. I'll go looking for some rebar, but I'm wondering if I can get out of making that "J" and having it show above ground.
jay dee

dummy

Post by jay dee »

Make your own rebar out of PVC pipe. A "T" on one end of the pipe driven into the ground will keep it stable. You can make your own "U" shaped anchor securing the joints with the PVC pipe glue. You can make your anchors as long as you want and the glue will definitely keep the pieces together.

jay dee
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Set two posts into the ground in concrete with tops level with the top of the bottom cross bar on the trellis (one on each side of the cross bar)
Nail or screw a piece of wood or metal across between the two posts to hold the trellis :)
Ye unnerstan? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

One must first ask is this going to be a permanent home for the arbor or are you going to down the road want to move it? The guys gave you great advice either way, but again a gorilla sitting on the top my get some added attention? :wink: Or how about some hanging baskets?
Midnight Reiter Too

You got to really shtrain der noodle to come up mit der right choice. So I'm going to study all this advice and take a multiple choice test.

The gorilla on top...now that's an idea. :D He's in the basement right now. I'll see if I can lure him out!

Yes, karma, it's permanent for sure. I've had ten years to think about it.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

MR, just ask my DH or DS, nothing is permanent! Especially in our yard, I'd make sure it was on wheels! :lol:
Midnight Reiter Too

I may need another arbor in the future, but this one goes smack dab in the middle of the backyard with a path through it.
New Topic Post Reply