Need some input here, plus I need to blow off some steam.

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

rosemarie

Need some input here, plus I need to blow off some steam.

Post by rosemarie »

I sent an order to Plant Delights Nursery for three HOsta I couldn't get from Chris. I printed out the order, one to send to them and one for the notebook I keep track of my orders in. 2 hostas, $25.00 ea. and one , 20.00 , according to the order I printed out the freight was $16.00 . That totals $86.00, right? So I get a letter from them saying'There is a balance due on this order, please drop a check in the mail.' But they didn't tell me how much the balance was supposed to be. Then I looked up at the shipping date and it was 01-01-06. Say what??? Now they have no 800 #. So I have to pay to call them. I called yesterday to check on it and they said they were open Monday to Friday. I am really ticked off. I wondered if any one else has ordered from them? :eek:
Lovin' the great northwest!
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

I have ordered from them in the past, but very rarely received what I want (seem to always be out of stock on the items I want most - even when I ordered on January 1). Haven't ordered from them in a couple of years, though. Sorry you are having such trouble - how incredibly frustrating! :???:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with them. Too bad they couldn't have called or emailed about it. I try to get on the phone if I can't reach people by email, but we don't have an 800 number either. I've talked with some business owners who tried an 800 number and they said that the number of calls from everyone except customers kept them so busy that they would have had to hire someone just to answer the phone.

Last year I ordered hostas from someone in January, emailed to confirm the total, they emailed back and said yes, that was correct, so I mailed my check. The weekend before the order was to ship I got an email that I had not paid the correct amount and they would not ship the order until it was paid in full and to send another $30. I double checked my total and yes, it was off, but only by $20. I emailed but was told that they double checked and I was off by $30, not $20. So I got on the phone, the woman I spoke with said she was too busy right then, and to please email. So I emailed again and convinced them I was off by $20 but instead of sending it just delete one of the plants that was $20. Got the email back that yes, sorry, my new total was right, and they would just drop one of the plants. All I kept wondering was, why wasn't my total checked in January when I wrote in the first place?

To make it even worse, I had ordered 2 of one plant for $50 each but they didn't have enough so sent one of those plants with 4 eyes for $100 and told me I could divide it if I wanted. There was no chance in hell of dividing that plant, though, since it was 4 eyes coming out of one small group of roots. I would have rather had two distinct plants to begin with since larger eyes tend to multiply faster than a group of smaller eyes, but I wasn't even given a choice.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent too. Hopefully you will be able to work it out with them.

Chris
Justme

Post by Justme »

Rosemary, yes, someone else on forum has ordered from them, in the past. Didn't like their service and attitude and has complained and won't order from them again.

I however have only ordered from Chris in the past, so of course don't have anything to vent about!

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
janet

Post by janet »

Rosemarie, sorry to hear about the lack of customer service at PDN. I have ordered from them...once. No problems with the service, but the plant quality was pretty "iffy". In 2001 I ordered 'Cascades' and 'Popo'. 'Cascades' was quite pricey at that time and I received a sparse one-eyed plant. 'Popo' had three eyes, tiny even for a mini. Both are now dead, having struggled for two years before giving up. I have not ordered from them again. Gotta love their catalog, but the 'follow through' just isn't there, IMO.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Update on PDN: Called this morning and the gal I talked to was very pleasant. she explained about the added note about the total and the 2006 shipping date. She checked my order and said the Hostas would be shipped tomorrow. We will see. But I checked the Garden Watchdog for Hallsons and there were NO negatives and NO neutrals , all very glowing positives.(we could have told them that) I will check everyone I order from, thanks for the link, Chris.
Lovin' the great northwest!
New Topic Post Reply