Need Advice on Cranesbill

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Need Advice on Cranesbill

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

My 'Midnight Reiter' cranesbill have survived the winter, but they're teeny tiny and can't possibly bloom this year! Why won't they grow? I planted them last year and they didn't do anything last summer either. Do they need some Miracle Grow?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I see lots of teeny tiny ones all the time, but they are seedlings from the main plant. I haven't had any trouble overwintering this one here. Last winter I had them in rich but well-drained soil and didn't lose any. They were planted mid-summer. At our old place they were in much sandier soil and did fine there too. What kind of conditions do yours have?
Midnight Reiter Too

I have other types of cranesbill that are doing great without much water and no fertilizer. The 'Midnight Reiters' aren't seedlings (they were last year and never bloomed). They're getting a tiny amount of shade during the day. The soil is topsoil I bought at Lowe's. It is just as it comes from the bag, not mixed into the existing clay. They are planted under a Japanese tree lilac, but the tree isn't full grown.

Some parts of our soil are sandy, but most places are hard clay with pebbles mixed in. I don't know if pebbles occur naturally in clay, but I'm telling you that when I dig, I run into lots of pebbles and potato sized rocks! I think the sand was brought in by the builders because it is only around the house and along a drainage ditch.
Midnight Reiter Too

I found this:

"Follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system."

I wonder how often I should water.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

'Midnight Reiter' is a notoriously slow grower. Really, really slow. If you bought small babies, they may take a few years to bloom.
Attachments
midreiter1.JPG
DryGulch

Mine...

Post by DryGulch »

Well, my just up and bloomed and died...same year (last). No clue why.
Midnight Reiter Too

Yikes! Thanks for letting me know, Doris and DryGulch. I'll wait and I hope they survive as long as my New Hampshire Purple has.
New Topic Post Reply