Help me with this vine

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Muddy fingernails

Help me with this vine

Post by Muddy fingernails »

I need some help with this invasive wine crawling over a very tall hedge from my neighbor's yard.
The vine has large, pronounced heart-shaped leaves, widely set along the branches, little corksrew tendrils and is a virulent grower. I pull it out of the hedge by the ton.
What is it?

I know I can kill it with with a broad leaf herbicide but would like to find a better method.
I am thinking of renting a goat but fear for my hostas.

Help!

Antje is Muddy fingernails
Look for me in the garden.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sounds like morning glory or worse yet maybe bindweed? If it is bindweed the only way to really control it is with herbicide, but it is tough to kill. When I used to do landscaping and landscape maintenance and worked in gardens that had bindweed it was regular maintenance to pull it out of the shrubs and then spray the entire mass with brush-b-gon, but it always came back from some part of the roots and would need to be done again in a couple months.

Good luck with it.

Chris
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

I disagree with Chris as to ID. Morning Glory, or bindweed, doesn't have corkscrew tendrils. Any way you can get a picture of it??
Muddy fingernails

Picture tonight

Yes, I will take a photo of it tonight. I have had bindweed in other parts of the garden and recognize it. And I always considered mornig glory a flowering vine to be cherished. It is a pest, of course.

I am thinking that this one might be a wild(er) form of hops, having seen hops in Germany.
Still at work- will go home around 5 PM.

Muddy fingernails

Here it is

This is the vine. Any idea? I had to reduce the image dramatically but hope it is still recognizable.

Attachments
Vine from Hell 001a.jpg
Vine from Hell 001a.jpg (7.69 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
Muddy fingernails

Another pix

Vine from Hell picture #2

Regards,Antje
Attachments
Vine from Hell 002a.jpg
Vine from Hell 002a.jpg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Wild grape vine!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

My immediate thought was Grape Vine. The leaves look smaller than my next door neighbor's grapevine but sure does look similar. As the previous next door neighbor became elderly and infirm his grapevine got out of control and started growing through my trees and ravine, but the new owner has gotten it under control again. They can really choke the life out of a tree!
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Yup, wild grape vine. Spray it, pull it, spray it, chop it, spray it, pull it, spray it, chop it . . . repeat.

I finally got rid of it in an old railroad fencerow along my property line. Chainsawed the stumps and pulled all the vines out of the trees. Sprayed the stumps. It was way up in the trees. That set it back for a couple year, but now it's back and going crazy. It will come up from the ground where you don't expect it. Once it takes over it's hard to get under control. Patsue is right, it can consume a tree.

Good Luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Wild grape vine it is!! Don't know how to get rid of it but I have seen tons of that growing up out in the country :) We use to eat them LOL. Little tiny sour grapes :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Muddy fingernails

Wild grape

So is there one big mother grape plant from which all the annoying branches come? Maybe I should find that one and destroy it? I am hopeful because eliminating these vines continues to take valuable gardening time away from hostas and perennials.
Thanks for your advice, I am glad the verdict is unanimous.

petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

(Love your name Muddy!)

Unfortunately for us GARDENERS, seeds of undesirable plants....such as this wild grape....often germinate in places we wish they would not! Probably that tiny seed passed thru a bird, who enjoyed that tasty wild grape, and unknowingly "deposited" it exactly where it grew!

In some cases, this seed dispersal may be a good thing, but not the case here.

Seeds are wonderful little things! They have hundreds of ways to keep its' species from dying out. My challenge is poison ivy that keeps appearing where the birds like to perch!.....p :wink:
Muddy fingernails

Wild grapes and poison vy

Hi Petal Pusher,
Well, I pulled and cut and sprayed until I ran out of spray. These grape vines are very tenacious. I have never been able to eradicate poison ivy, either, just contain it a bit. Ortho Poison Ivy and Broadleaf killer is the most effective spray I have found yet.
I hope someone is working on a herbicide that takes care of those two obnoxious vines.
After almost 30 years of no sensitivity, I have become allergic to poison ivy and now have to change my ways in the garden.
I have decided that the birds I feed in the winter are the culprits who "dropped" wild grape seeds in my hedge. I had secetely blamed my neighbor, but he does not spend enough time outdoors to cause this problem.

Well, back to the saltmines,

New Topic Post Reply