Help!! Trumpet Vine taking over the world!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

Help!! Trumpet Vine taking over the world!

Post by petal*pusher »

:o Argh! I have been pretty good at keeping this thing contained for 8 years....but what a horrific problem it has become!

It's sprouting right up thru my deck...clutching the siding and reaching for the roof...and appearing throughout my gardens and yard. Such a sneaky little devil it is!!

It is growing over a pergolla at the end of the deck...a wooden swing hangs below. It really looked nice for several years. This year it is G-I-G-A-N-T-I-C!!! I hate to cut the whole thing down (is that even possible)...but does anyone have a suggestion??

Help!.....p :wink:
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Petal

Love it or kill it, It is very aggrerssive in sending up rooted shoots over a wide area.

It will attach itself to a building, and it will leave marks when it is removed.

The best place for this plant is in an open area up a trellis or 4x4 where you can mow all around it, by my experience anyway.

I like it, but it needs to be controlled or it can do damage and you saw what it does to the flower beds.

Ed
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

In the past when I did landscape maintenance I would cut back the really problematic, far away shoots then poor a little concentrated roundup on the cuts. It would kill that section but not affect the main plant. Now, I just used roundup, not brush-b-gon or roundup brush killer, because either of those might kill a lot more than you intend.

Good luck!
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Boy I'm in the same boat! Been trying to kill the thing since 2004 ...arg! It is everywhere in one of my beds. I dug the entire bed up last year...I mean like three feet down..guess what it came back (with no planted trumpet vine in site). I think I might have had a little bit still hidden in the astibille plant I had removed and put back in. When I get time, I'll have to remove it and divide it up...looking for the rascally vine! Until them, I have some brush killer in a bottle and am spraying the sprouts as they come up (regular round up didn't seem to phase it much).

Good luck!!
Stephanie
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I just posted this on Ed's post over on Perennials:
[I hadn't gotten this far yet.]

I've heard that the newer cultivars of trumpet vine aren't as aggressive, but I still would be careful with them. What I have is the old fashioned kind & it knows no boundaries. I finally gave up trying to do it in out in front of the house years ago. I'd given it my best shot the year before & it just came back in different places. I finally built an arbor type thing over the raised water garden for it to have something to grow on. Eventually it moved the rebar :eek: so that both of the north sides look like they have tilted. :roll: The last couple years I wasn't vigilant where it went under the concrete sidewalk & it was all along the house trying to get in - higher than the roof in several places. I cut & dug it all back - as much as I could last month. Planted some ventricosas where it was the worst next to the house. They're tough. But I know the trumpet vine will be back. It always is. And it self-seeds too........ :D :o :o :eek: :eek: :eek: At least once in a while I see a hummingbird enjoying the nectar of the blooms.

I don't think you can kill it ever unless you use a backhoe & adhere strictly to a scorched earth policy. And I'm not sure even that would do the trick.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

At least the "Trumpet Vine versus Man....er, Woman" doesn't seem to be mine alone! It is such a pretty thing....but what hides behind those nice blossoms is quite a monster!

Thanks for the replies....and sympathy! I KNOW I have to do something about it this year :eek: ......p :wink:
New Topic Post Reply