Design Help Needed

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

rakenleafs

Design Help Needed

Post by rakenleafs »

My SIL just added on to her house, she now has a few spots and isn't sure what to do with them.
The first spot has two sidewalks coming together, so there is a triangle, nothing can grow over the sidewalks they need wheelchair access.
The second spot is along the deck, right below the hot-tub, she wanted to plant dinner plate hibiscus, but I don't think thats a great idea because of the potential for bees.. she thinks it's not a problem because they pretty much use the hot-tub at night.. I say it is still right next to the deck.
Spot 3 is again along the deck but on the other side.

Zone 5a
Spot 1 - Full sun
Spot 2 - Dappled Shade
Spot 3 - Almost Full Sun

Fran
Attachments
large.jpg
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Nice deck! I would probably draw out a curved line from the sidewalk all around the deck...I think that was spot one and three, and connect them. Plant lower growing things, some daylilies, nepeta, maybe some asters for fall color, sedums to fill in. I'd also tuck in some spring bulbs to get the color off to an early start. The area by the hot tub looks like a good spot for some grasses, perhaps? Maybe some of the smaller miscanthus varieties, not the huge ones because they would get too big. Panicum, maybe Dallas Blues, would be lovely there. It takes a while to get an established clump, but it's just lovely, light and airy looking, and has some wonderful color in the fall. There would be a bit of a screening effect without blocking it completely, and the rustling of the grasses in the breeze would be a pleasant additon to the hot tub exeperience. Maybe a hibiscus on one end, if she wants that look. I never worry too much about bees...they do their own thing, and if you don't swat at them, they'd rather be gathering the goodies than stinging. I have tons of flowers all around my porches, and the bees come and go. No one has ever gotten stung by a bee there, even my son-in-law, who hates bees and thinks he has to flail his arms around whenever he sees one.
Well, there are a few ideas to get you started.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
John

Post by John »

I have a row of hardy Hibiscus, and they do not seem to attract bees at all, maybe one or two now and then. The bees do like my Viburnum and the Buddleia.

One plant which attracted bees to the point I had to compost it was Caryopteris; another bad one was Perovskia.

If you go with Linda's excellent suggestion of some ornamental grasses, then the hardy Hibiscus are excellent companions on that same scale. As they bloom in August, I'd add daylilies for color in June and July. Siberian Iris are easy, and make fountains of foliage, and color in May. And tuck plenty of daffodils in wherever for early spring color, and the foliage will be hidden among that of the other plants.
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Great ideas so far, I will look up a few of the things you guys have mentioned...
I love the idea of the rustling grasses, that does sound soothing.
Fran
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
New Topic Post Reply