Witch Hazel blooming

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Witch Hazel blooming

Post by doublemom2 »

My Hamamelis 'Arnold Promise' and 'Primavera' are in full bloom, they are just what I need this time of year to keep me going through winter. In the bottom right corner is a peachy-pink double hellebore and Epimedium 'Black Sea' that is probably my all-time favorite epimedium :)

Andi
Attachments
HamamelisArnold022307.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Very Nice Andi! I needed that too - gardens are buried under snow and we're about to get another dose of Midwest winter. Thanks!
Jeanne aka Hapygdnr
Libby

Post by Libby »

What a great boost to have witch hazel blooming this time of year! Is it true that some drop their leaves and others hang on and must be removed by hand? Thanks for any growing information you can share because I'm seriously thinking about planting one. Very pretty picture!
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I have three and I love them all. I haven't heard that about their leaves, all of mine fall off in late autumn. 'Arnold Promise' has fantastic fall coloring also, each leaf is like a rainbow and is stunning.

Can't go wrong with these guys, they give me about 10 months of interest every year. I'm not sure about growing information or hardiness, I just plunked them in the ground, moved 'Arnold' a couple of times until he got happy in his current spot, and basically leave them alone.

Andi
Attachments
HamamelisArnoldPromise 100504.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Libby

Post by Libby »

Andi, thanks for the additional info. Those color splashed leaves are awesome! I'll be looking for this guy, Arnold :)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

WOW!

I need to find "Arnold" too! What a stunner!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Andi, those are breath taking!! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Well I just ordered "Arnold". And since I didn't want him to be lonely on his long trip I also ordered a Tri Color Beech and an abelia chinensis to keep him company. :lol:

It is a daaaaaaaaaannngerous time of year..... :lol:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply