new cedar planter with trellis....what would you do?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

new cedar planter with trellis....what would you do?

Post by Dee_dla »

Hi all!

Last fall at a church fundraising auction, I purchased a cedar planter with a built-in trellis that someone handmade. The note on the planter said it could be left natural or have a sealant put on it. The trellis part can be lifted out of its support guides. I would love to have this for many years. What would you do?

Also, although I am not "clemmie-savvy", that is what I am thinking of putting in it. A friend is sharing a 'Will Goodwin' that I thought would be pretty in there. I will need all the advice I can get! :-?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

There are lots of plants that you can put in there besides clemmies. Passifloras, snail vines, mandevilla, trumpet, ivy, jasmine, climbing rose, ipomoea, hops, grapes and much more. But I would stain and/seal it first.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

The usual clematis require a cool root run, so I'm not sure about growing them in a planter above ground. How big is the planter part? And how tall the support?

For the first year, I'd just plant annual vines and see how it goes. Beware of morning glory: if you plant them this year you could have them for the rest of your life, everywhere but where you want them! How about deep blue sweet peas (from seed) mixed with orange Little Suzie (black-eyed susan vine)?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Tigger, say what??? We grow Clemmies in pots above the ground all the time! :oops:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply