Flower Day

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Flower Day

Post by caliloo »

Every year my little town has "Flower Day". All residents and businesses are encouraged to put a floral display on/near the entrance. I thought you might be interested in seeing a couple of photos from the day. Here are the 1st prize winners in the business category.....

Originality - Becky's Deli (yes those are flowers in that long hoagie roll)
Attractiveness - Studio 35 Salon
Appropriateness - The Book and Record Exchange (that is an old Detrola record player that the arrangement is in)
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Those are great! What a fun idea! Maybe I can get something like that started here. We are in a town of about 5800. What size is yours, Caliloo?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Love this idea.....thanks for sharing!......p :wink:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:cool: Looks like it would be a neat thing to have get started here too. The town is trying to play up on its artistic cultural heritage. The Icarian colony of French artists, writers & philosphers was east of town in the 1800's. It was the longest running self-contained commune in U.S. history - 50+ years. Some descendants are still in the area. They tried a very high-brow celebration the 1st few years I had my shop. It didn't go over at all with the locals or draw anyone in. This would be a fun thing to do if they coordinated it with other things.

[I still laugh because the new thing that is popular is a Fiesta at the end of May. There is no Hispanic heritage here at all.] :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

My hometown (Edmond OK) used to do that when I was a little kid. I think they did it on May day. I guess the town got too big, I don't think they do it now. It is a great idea though :D

G
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What wonderful arrangements! People really have the opportunity to show off their creativity! Must be fun to go around that day and look at all the displays. Thanks for the pics, Alexa! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply