Tree Roots

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Tree Roots

Post by kHT »

I'm in hopes that we can have a discussion on this. John raised the question of tree roots by well and I feel this is something we all should look at. My readings is that there are now concerns with tree locations when it comes to the major pipelines and there has been discussion of removing those trees due to the root problems. We have this huge cypress tree that is now sending off roots into the Brug garden and has pushed all the hosta that were up under it upward so they had to be removed. We have planted trees way from our septic drain fields due to the fact that these can clog the fields.

So chime in on tree roots and what you see. Do not smother them by adding dirt.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but it is the only one I have with this view. It was taken in 2005. (The area looks really terrible this year because of the freeze or I would take new pics.) But what I wanted to show are the two mature walnut trees at the ends of the bed...

DH built the house over their roots...21 years ago...

So, maybe all tree roots are not created equal? I would be curious about thoughts on this, too, as in another post I asked about building raised beds up around mature trees...
Attachments
may 06 009.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply