Need Shade for Deck

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Need Shade for Deck

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Our deck will be on the west side of the house. Right about suppertime, the evening sun is glaring if you face the west. How can we provide shade during that time without blocking the view of the yard the rest of the time? I'm seeking an idea that will be ascetically pleasing.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

one of those awnings you can put up or down. 1 brand is called Sundowner.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Midnight Reiter Too

Doesn't that just shade the sun from overhead? I need some shade about eye level when you're seated.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

What about making a canvas type curtain? You can the material at someplace like JoAnns to sew a simple curtain that would roll up when you don't need it with a string/rope type thingy. Not explaining this well, but hopefully you'll understand. Even a light weight material would cut the glare and provide a light shade. Will you have a top on it at all, like and arbor type thing. I guess you'd need that to attach the curtain. Just assumed you would if it's in the west or south of the house, I guess. :roll:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Midnight Reiter Too

I thought of that but would I need a roof over my deck. I need something to fasten a roll-up shade to and I like the idea very much, but I haven't seen deck designs that have those.
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

Have you considered a pergola? You could get some shades or outdoor curtains to hang from the sides, or you could have some vines climbing a side or two and covering the top.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Same problem here. We put an arbor, about 4 feet wide, over the far (west) end of the deck. Then I made 'curtains' with weights in the bottom hem and hung them from hooks on the cross-pieces of the arbor. This worked well and looked kind of cool. Had to take them down if it was windy. We tired of them after the first summer.

We also planted a bald cypress (attractive, fast growing) tree on the west side of the deck and planted vines to climb the arbor. It's now 5 years later and the tree blocks the sun and the arbor provides shade on the deck.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

What about those 3-fold room/area dividers for shades. You may have to get a couple of them, and they would have to be weighted to withstand a little breeze, but you could move them around wherever. They are usually about six feet tall, so if you were seated it may keep the sun out if the sun was a little lower in the west...

Or if you have a railing on your deck, perhaps you could get a lightweight roll-up cloth, kinda like greenhouse covering. It could be attached to the house at the roof line then rolled out and attached to some inconspicuous hooks or something on the outside deck rail opposite the house...leaving an area like under a canopy.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Get an umbrella. I have the same situation. I got a umbrella for my table that I can tilt, and another stand alone that I can move around and tilt. It does not shade the whole deck, but it shades you :lol: I like the idea of a pergola or screen though. I am gonna have to check into that. Umbrellas are a pain, I have to make sure I close it everyday.

Ginger
Midnight Reiter Too

We decided that we won't get a deck. We spent over $800 to replace the pump for the well.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply