My Garden Shed is Going Up! ***DONE!!!!***

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

My Garden Shed is Going Up! ***DONE!!!!***

Post by JaneG »

I mentioned in a post this spring that we had decided to build a shed which would serve as lumber storage for DH and a garden shed for me.

We picked a location in the yard and talked to a few builders. We went with a company that builds garages/sheds. They put the walls together in their plant then come assemble it on site.

Here is the spot we picked. The existing small shed, pile of lumber, swimming pool and partial privacy fence belong to the neighbor, so we will be able to block that view.

Here is a picture of the location we chose, and then another picture with the foundation poured.

The most exciting part is that they are out there RIGHT NOW in the rain putting up the rest of the building. By 2:00 this afternoon I will have a garden shed!!!! :D :D :D :D I'll post pictures of the finished work later today.
Attachments
Here it is.   Due to the neighbors maple tree roots, it had to be moved a little more to the left than we had planned.
Here it is. Due to the neighbors maple tree roots, it had to be moved a little more to the left than we had planned.
Here's the spot we chose.   It's in the side yard about 40 feet from the house.
Here's the spot we chose. It's in the side yard about 40 feet from the house.
Last edited by JaneG on Jul 27, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

It's sprinkling outside but they are working anyway. It's goes quickly.

Here's the first wall, then four walls, then ready to start on the roof!
Attachments
In this picture you can see the corner of DH woodwooking shop on the right.  He has 24x32' detached shop, and now we will have the shed.   With the house and two outbuildings I've started to call this our "campus"!
In this picture you can see the corner of DH woodwooking shop on the right. He has 24x32' detached shop, and now we will have the shed. With the house and two outbuildings I've started to call this our "campus"!
FourWalls_resized.jpg
FirstWall_resized.jpg
JaneG
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

It's Done!!!

Here are the views from different directions.

There are two doors because it is divided in half with a wall down the center. The solid door goes to DH's half, the door with the window goes to half that will be my garden shed. It is 20x20 so I will have approximately 9x19 once you account for the wall thickness, etc.

There is a single small garage door for pulling the mower into the back of my half.
Attachments
Here is the view from the street.    This is along the north lot line.   The lot is pie shaped and extends west and south quite a ways.
Here is the view from the street. This is along the north lot line. The lot is pie shaped and extends west and south quite a ways.
SideViewDone_resized.jpg
FrontViewDone_resized.jpg
JaneG
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

More Pictures...

Here is a view from the vegetable garden, you can see the shed in relationship to the house.

And an interior shot of my 'half' of the building. I can't wait to paint it, add a potting bench and really 'cute' it up!!

I want to have a cottage garden look around this shed and the back of his shop.

I need all your planting ideas!!! The doors face south.
Attachments
Interior_resized.jpg
Interior_resized.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
FromVegGarden_resized.jpg
JaneG
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Very cool! I would love to have something like that. Would be so nice to have my space for my stuff!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

What fun! make sure you keep up with the progress pics all through till it's completely landscaped and done inside! Very :cool:

Now you need to put an arbor with vines up on that side to hide the neighbors pool from view and you'll be all set! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, how awesome! What fun you will have with that! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice! I can't wait to see how you "cute it up". :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

So...how are you liking that shed? I think I already know the answer. :D I thought of you today when "plotting" on how I could get a room addition on my little greenhouse.

I have been heating it the last 4 winters with portable electric heaters. DH has set up a propane tank and has a ventless gas heater he is going to put in, thinking it will be a less expensive heating option. I hope he is right! That way maybe I can get that room addition! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

That's a shed? You could house four Albanian families in there and pay your mortgage on the house off in no time.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Here's an update . . . just yesterday the electricians trenched a line out there so I have lights and outlets now. With the trenching finished I can start putting plants in around it. I picked up a lilac to go near the window and door so I can smell it when I'm out there in the spring. Also found a Royal Purple smokebush. I have hostas, daylilies, hydrangeas, chelone and iris that I will move there from other parts of the yard.

The mowers and tiller are inside, but I've resisted the urge to fill it up until I get it painted. I've picked up the paint and should get the interior painted this weekend.

It's been slow because in the past months we've installed hardwood flooring in the house, painted the spare room, carpeting two rooms, and now replacing furnace and a/c. This summer has been non-stop projects. We got married in April and David has been great at letting me do some things with the house since I left my old home and moved into his. We we are making it "ours".

I'll post some more pictures of the shed when there is something to show.
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! You and Karma! Our resident home-show hosts! :D You ladies HAVE been busy this summer! You both deserve to relax when falls comes for certain! :D

Can't wait to see your pics of the finished shed!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looking good and it block the ugly before wiev :wink:

Smart
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Here are three more pictures. We haven't decided what we are doing in front of the new shed yet. Pavers? Wood deck or platform? Poured concrete?

So I can't do anything in front of the building until we decide. I have started putting in some plants on the sides. The west side has a lilac at the corner for scent and one of my new dappled willows anchoring by the overhead door. Between is mostly daylilies I moved from my old house and they have been sitting in bags and buckets for 2 months (shame on me). But they perked up after just 2 days in the ground!

The east side has bamboo at the corner, a clematis trellis, russian sage, hardy hibiscus and some other miscellaneous daylilies, iris, etc, divided from existing plants.

The street view is kind of a big nook created by the new shed. It has the neighbors fence on the north, the back of DH shop on the south and the new shed at the west. In here is where I want to create a pretty garden scene that can be viewed from the street. Our neighborhood has lots of walkers so I'd like a view they can enjoy.

If you look at the street view in the early construction pictures you will see that the plantings along the back of DH's shop weren't there. That is the north side so it's mostly hostas with 2 hydrangea and a Japanese maple.
Attachments
View from the street.   Would like to make this a grassy center surrounded by lush flowers and shrubs.   Tree is walnut, in the center is a very old yucca, I like it.
View from the street. Would like to make this a grassy center surrounded by lush flowers and shrubs. Tree is walnut, in the center is a very old yucca, I like it.
East side of shed, bamboo, 2 clems on trellis, 2 new Luna hibiscus, russian sage, ninebark add dark red contrast to the russian sage and contrast the light colored siding.  Very dry, bad soil toward back of shed, not sure what I'll do there.
East side of shed, bamboo, 2 clems on trellis, 2 new Luna hibiscus, russian sage, ninebark add dark red contrast to the russian sage and contrast the light colored siding. Very dry, bad soil toward back of shed, not sure what I'll do there.
West side of the shed, mostly transplanted daylilies between a lilac and a dappled willow.
West side of the shed, mostly transplanted daylilies between a lilac and a dappled willow.
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I like the bones of it all! It will be fun for you to create that garden with thoughts of the admirers from the street side.

What about a little patio out there to put a couple chairs or a bench to sit and chat with neighbors?

And the old yucca, you could do a rock garden with other succulents or semps maybe? It will be fun to watch from the progress pics how this all comes together for you :D Love to see the process as you do it! So keep the updates coming! :D
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Great project, Jane, from beginning to end. If it were mine, I'd be hanging some whimsical garden art on that blank canvas of a wall, a faux window, or a larger sculpture type thing in front of it.

Truth be told, garden tools are hanging on the end of my shed that neighbors can't see, and on the other end that faces my neighbors backyard hang 3 matching fan trellises, looks quite nice. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Very nice...
Just one thing, I love bamboo, but in a few years it will kill your clems and dry out everything around it :cry:

I do not know what you plan to do ... but when I look at your pics I think I would move the bamboo to the area between the shed and the fence.. behind the Yugga

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks for the ideas, Pia. I don't have any experience with bamboo so I'll have to do some research and consider moving it. Thanks!
JaneG
New Topic Post Reply