Poinsettia and Christmas Cactus info......

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

Poinsettia and Christmas Cactus info......

Post by petal*pusher »

YUP! It's time to trick them into thinking the days are SHORT and the nights are LONG!!

We'll start putting black cloths over our 2,000 poinsettias in the school greenhouses on Monday. This should be started on the Fall Equinox. It takes about four weeks of covering them from late afternoon to late morning to trick them into setting bud.

Don't leave them on all the time! This is what some people do! The trick is to make sure your plants (both the poinsettia and the cactus) have very short time periods of light. The students cover ours before they go home at 2:30p.m.....then they are uncovered at 9:00a.m.. We use huge black cloths on a structure built over each ghse. bench. Actually, the cloth is thick black landscape fabric.

At home, you could achieve the same results from either placing your plant in a closet for those same hours...or putting near a window in an unused room. Both plants require little water...but cannot be neglected completely.

I'll try to get some pics posted of the kids and their plants!.......p :wink:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks for the reminder. I have a poinsettia from last year that I kept. I'm not usually into poinsettias, but this was a beautiful white one with variegated leaves. It is growing rather nicely...I am really looking forward to it blooming again...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I just thought about my cactus the other day.....I put mine in the basement in boxes.....then mark my calender to get them out again...

Thanks for the reminder!! :D
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

GRRRRRRRRR I would LOVE to be doing this with my Christmas Cactus, but the darn deer ate every single one of them :evil: I had them sitting on the half wall by my front garden and a few morings ago I noticed every single one of them was eaten to a single nub sticking out of the pot. :evil:

I hate deer.

BTW - the beasts also ate my caladium (I thought they were toxic?), and my hot peppers (Habaneros, kung po and jalapeno).

Did I mention I hate deer?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

caliloo, you must have bionic deer!!!! Your Christmas Cactus may come out unless they were killed...probably the Caladiums, too. While I know the CCs are a loss for this year, my Caladiums are already drooping from the 50 degree morning temps we've had a few times.

Sorry for your loss...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Yea, I couldn't believe my eyes.

I do put liquid fence on the hostas, roses and daylilys all of which were untouched. But I was really stunned that they ate the habaneros. I mean that is one of the ingredients in liquid fence!

They also ate one of my orchids that was ready to bloom. I am just sick about that one too.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply