My little afternoon project - steps with RR ties

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

My little afternoon project - steps with RR ties

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

This past Tuesday afternoon I decided to finally tackle the back steps project I've been "planning" for oh, something like 5 years :roll: The back landing ended up a little higher than expected after we built this place and we just sloped the dirt up to it so it was useable, but over the past years the dirt has washed away and this step got higher and higher until I started tripping on it all the time. So last Tuesday I got everything together and now have new steps up to the back door. Here is a shot of the work just as I started it, at 3:30 in the afternoon:
Startingbacksteps.jpg
And here it is at 9:30 in the evening, after brushing some sand into the bricks. I still have to install a drain line that runs underneath the landing and attaches to the downspout so that this doesn't wash out again. This project didn't really cost me anything, either. The bricks were free, just for hauling them away from a landscaping job that we did several years ago, and the railroad ties were leftover from when we built the back wall for the nursery. I'm happy with it, but am in shock that I got this done in an afternoon. So was Brian, since he was at work and didn't expect to see this when he got home :D
FinishBackSteps.jpg
Now I have to decide if I want a garden to the left, or just leave it grass. I'm sure in another 5 years or so I'll figure it out :lol:

Thanks for looking!

Chris
LucyGoose

Re: My little afternoon project - steps with RR ties

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, looks great Chris!!! You have so much talent and energy....unlike me!! :beer:
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

That looks soooooooooooooooo much better now!
Next time plan a project like that for when I'm there - I'd be glad to give you a hand!!! :beer:
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Great job Chris! How long did it take for your back to quit hurting after lugging those heavy railroad ties :eek:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
r4eversmiln
USDA Zone: 5

Post by r4eversmiln »

Hi Chris! What a wonderful job! It looks awesome! :idea: your cousin Lynn
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That looks great, Chris. I bet it felt good to get that project crossed off the to-do list!
I have a big one...paving the area off my back deck...in mind, and have been gathering
supplies for it (finding bricks and large pieces of limestone for pavers) for about 5 years or so.
Hopefully next year I'll have the time and energy to get at it.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks everyone, and great to see you Lynn!

Yes, this was definitely one of those projects that took longer to think about than to finish, and it does feel great to have it done. I wasn't too sore afterward, but could feel it. Mostly it was in my shoulders from hammering in the rebar to hold these in place. When working with railroad ties the key is to manipulate them, not lift them, though once you've cut them down to 4 or 5 feet long (with a chainsaw) they can be carried easier.

Now on to the next project - building a rock wall and a new sun garden!
NextProject.jpg
Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Looks great Chris, the key is to roll those heavy items into place if you don't have help! Can't wait to see the next project finished.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

It looks terrific, Chris! If that back landing is anywhere near your kitchen, I'd put a small herb garden to the left. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looking very god indeed :D

One of the things I have admired in several posts here are the use of different materials / brick styles.

Here if ýou need a driveway and a patio it HAVE to be the same bricks all over, even if you have to redo the patio or the driveway... expencive? sure , but more important ,... it looks darn boring - sort of a "dead" area even if they put in a pot or 3.

Timber can be slippy during fall and winther... give them a brush up with some rough grit - it helps :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I love it!!! :cool: Great job Chris!
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply