The conundrum of shipping "at the proper time for zone..."

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

The conundrum of shipping "at the proper time for zone..."

Post by Chris_W »

I would say about a third of the orders submitted to us in the winter say to ship at "the proper planting time" for a particular zone. Unfortunately, everyone seems to have a totally different idea of what time that really is :lol:

In reality, how cold it gets in the winter has almost nothing to do with when you can actually plant in the spring. When you can plant is more related to when the frost has left your soil, hard freezes have stopped, and when the ground drains and dries out quickly and is workable. Some areas of zone 4, which gets really cold in the winter, actually thaw out almost 2 months before other areas that are zone 5 or 6. And then you have the snow belts where the snow takes forever to melt, so the soil stays frozen a lot longer. Basically areas with much longer winters may not be all that cold (zone 6) but take longer to thaw and dry out so planting can be a month or more later than some in zone 4.

So what do I do in these cases? When I get one of these requests I look up the average last frost dates and average temperatures for that exact location and schedule the dormant plant shipments when the average low temp is just at or slightly above freezing and the average daytime temps are close to 60 degrees. Based on that, some people say that is too early, others say that is too late, and the rest say that is perfect, but we get it all worked out :D

I guess that looking up all of this data over the years has simply made me realize that there is no such thing as a proper planting time for any one zone. Yet it seems a lot of mail order companies try to lump everyone into one set shipping time for each zone. The best for me is when people just pick a date, or a date range. I can schedule those a lot easier ;)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: The conundrum of shipping "at the proper time for zone..

Post by kHT »

Ya know Chris, it would be wise if you put this one the site some where and then that way it's in print so that your customers
know you are really concerned about the timing issues for all zones. I know you both try so much harder than some of the bigger
companies and that is why you have the great customer base!! I appreciate all you do!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Re: The conundrum of shipping "at the proper time for zone..

Post by isadora »

It is frustrating. I always try to put a best shipping date on my orders, but I am STILL waiting for a shipment of hostas from one company in Minnesota. It is hot here in Missouri zone 6b, in the upper 90's, dry, and the best planting dates have all gone by for this season. I was not allowed a best shipping date from them, and I will not order from that company again. At this point I am about to cancel the order and ask for a refund. Too bad too as this company came pretty highly recommended, they had a good selection and it was the first time I had placed an order there. Lesson learned.
New Topic Post Reply