I had a spare mirror

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

I had a spare mirror

Post by lessa's dh »

Got this idea from a friend's garden while we were on a tour in June.
Attachments
DSC_0002a.jpg
DSC_0003a.jpg
DSC_0004a.jpg
DSC_0005a.jpg
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: I had a spare mirror

Post by Chris_W »

That is really neat looking :) Maybe you've helped give me some ideas for all the mirrors that Brian has collected over the years. He always says he is going to do something with them, and instead they go into storage :lol:
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

It looks nice but birds will try to fly into it and break their necks. They even do that when they see trees reflected in windows and doors. A mirror would fool them from all angles.
I have seen where a mirror was used to make a faux pond. It was layed on the ground with the edges softened with mulch and a few flat stones on and around it. There were no problems with birds getting hurt but I bet a few animals were disapointed not being able to drink from it.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

I still plan on framing it properly and installing fake muntin bars on it - should discourage them but then I have birds flying into regular windows ....

Hey Chris - tell Brian to get his decorating hat out and use it outdoors - you guys could have a riot with mirrors! I Know I'm not done yet!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

That's really cool, but I get so lost in thought when I'm out working in my garden, I guarantee at some point I would startle at my own reflection...thinking someone is standing out in my garden with me. :eek: LOL
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Nice! That could make a small yard look bigger.
lessa's dh

Post by lessa's dh »

It actually worked great in Steve's garden - he has one of those long narrow city lots. In our case - it just looks kind of neat! :beer:

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Seen it on walls in shows Floriaden in Holland and Chelsea Flower show ...and in a very small city lot in Holland, never haeard about the birds before... darn it was lovely on an entire wall plus a long narrow one on one of the sides reflecting the mirror.

Confused me completely :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LiquidFeet
USDA Zone: 6

Post by LiquidFeet »

Great idea. I've seen it once before, on a fence, in a garden. Yours looks magical!
New Topic Post Reply