Garden mapping - using a GPS?

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Garden mapping - using a GPS?

Post by jerryshenk »

Recently, I got a new phone and the GPS on it is really pretty good. I've been wondering if I could use it to map the yard. The accuracy isn't good enough to map individual plants like each hosta or anything that specific but, how about mapping where the trees are and where other "features" are? I have the yard laid out in Visio but I only have the areas around the house. Getting accurate locations for other stuff...well, seems like a lot of work and I'm wondering if a GPS would help.

I've played a little with "Share My GPS Coordinates" on my Android this morning. It seems pretty accurate and it can dump the information out in a variety of formats including text messages, e-mail and Evernote. Then I can just click on a link and have it show up on a map. For $2, I can upgrade to a version that will allow for multiple points on a map....that seems like it's getting real close to what I'm looking for.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Garden mapping - using a GPS?

Post by Chris_W »

Maybe it would help to get the right scale onto a piece of paper? You might be able to get just as accurate from a satellite image of your yard to help you start mapping.
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by jerryshenk »

I have a scale drawing in Visio and I could print it with grid lines. That would probably work best.

I messed with the GPS a bit more over the weekend...3 meter accuracy is pretty good but it's still pretty far off. I could probably do better with just a printed copy.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Now I have to check out my phone, interesting. I love the newest Google maps where you can walk around the neighborhood in 2011 and see just how your
neighborhood looks like then. I'm wanting real time!! A lot of folks at our recent g-sale used GPS to map out the sales they were headed out for. Those smart
phones are taking all the fun out of an adventure?? :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply