Bromeliads; the Other Epiphyte

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Jackson74

Bromeliads; the Other Epiphyte

Post by Jackson74 »

Greetings, I'm Jackson74. I would like to introduce myself, and the bromeliads I've been collecting here in Florida for the past twenty years.
Bromeliads belong to the plant familiy Bromeliaceae, which has well over 2,700 species, plus thousands of hybrids. They grow from the southernmost parts of the United States, down through Central and South America to Chile and Argentina.
Many bromeliads grow on trees as epiphytes. Their roots are used for support, they are not parasites. Bromeliads are one of the most adaptable plant families in the world. They have a tremendous ability to survive, and offer an infinite variety, challenging plant forms and color combinations.
In cultivation, the most common genera are 1)Aechmea; 2)Billbergia; 3)Cryptanthus; 4)Guzmania; 5)Neoregelia; 6)Nidularium; 7)Tillandsia; and 8)Vriesea. Most make great houseplants if given a reasonable ammount of care.
If you would like to know more on these amazing tropical plants, or just browse the hundred or so photographs I have, please visit my website below. There, you will find links to my major photograph websites, and information on cultivating tips, the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies, and the Bromeliad Society International.
Jackson74
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome Jackson74, nice collection! These are the plants that my Art Professor back in NE had on many shelfs in the art rooms! I don't grow them because the ones I was give I killed, guess it takes a special touch? Thanks for sharing your passion! Ya might want to do your intro up in the top area also.
Jackson74

Post by Jackson74 »

karma_Happy_Toes wrote:Welcome Jackson74, nice collection! These are the plants that my Art Professor back in NE had on many shelfs in the art rooms! I don't grow them because the ones I was give I killed, guess it takes a special touch? Thanks for sharing your passion! Ya might want to do your intro up in the top area also.
As with a lot of orchids, bromeliads have just about the same culture requirements. Don't overwater, and I don't fertilize my plants at all. Just keep leaf litter in them, that's all they need. It has been my experience that most folks think that the more water and fertilizer they apply, the better the plant responds.
In my shadehouse, I try to keep the humidity levels at 50% or higher, that being the case, I only water once a week, but mist often to keep the humidity up.
On my journal page, I've just posted a link to a video of my collection of bromeliads. It's very short, just keep in mind, I'm no pro. Thanks for the interest, Jack........
Jackson74
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Welcome :D

Thanks for the tour- it was interesting and they are rather new here
Loved the black and white one :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply