My Sansiveria smells.....

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

whip1

My Sansiveria smells.....

Post by whip1 »

.....like a dead animal. I repotted my Sansiveria this past spring. I used the same mix I've always used. I'm watering the same as I always have. The plant looks healthy and seems to be fine otherwise. It stinks, and I've put the plant outside to get rid of the smell. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Re: My Sansiveria smells.....

Post by Angel3K »

I encounter similar case. My Sansievera has gotten big, and it stink. I took the whole plant out, hose down the roots. And here is the problem. There was like a "big root" from mother plant to the baby plant...i think that is the way baby plant gives nutrition, until it has its own roots. Now, when the baby plant get enough roots, this "big root" starts to decay.

I think the analogy would be like the umbilical cord from mother plant to the babies that has fallen off. And the baby needs to be potted separately and wash mother plant. So, here is what I did, and it seem to remove the stink.

First, I sterilize the big mother plant pot, pouring hot water on it, then wash it with detergent, then sun dry for a day. I made a fresh batch of potting mix, discard the old ones. I soaked the mother plant in water, and then hose it down, so all the stinky soils were gone. Then I put it back in the newly sterilize plant pot, and new potting mix.

So far, the stink is gone. I hope your Sans did well. :)

Angie
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Angie,
Thank you for the response. I've on other forums as well, and your explanation might be the best. I let the plant sit out for a while, with reduced watering, and the smell went away. The plant is doing fine.
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

glad your Sans is okay. I find them really tough, they can survive 2 weeks vacation without watering.

:)
New Topic Post Reply