geraniums

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

geraniums

Post by gardengirl13 »

Ok, my local garden center has the coolest geraniums every year. This year I got a couple I really loved. One I really want to see about bringing inside for the winter. I have no idea how to do this. If I put it in a new pot with new soil, in a window that gets sun in the afternoon will it be ok? How long will it last, will it die out in a couple months, or will I be able to plant it again next spring and have it keep going? Next year I plan on doing lots of container gardening, if I have lots of geraniums and they don't do too well inside over winter, can I keep them in the basement and plant them again next year (watering them a little over winter) or is it better to get them as annuals?
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: geraniums

Post by kHT »

You can keep these going as house plants and also do some cuttings, of which we just cut and put into cells with lights.
By next spring you should have plenty to use or share. Scream at me if you need more directions or photos?

We are in the process of taking fall cuttings so I'm in and out, so send me a PM and I'll keep watching.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

Post by kHT »

I got a couple PMs asking for photos, so here is how we do the cuttings. As you can see if the plant is special it's set in it's own planter and cuttings
will go in around the base so we can keep track of them. Massive amounts of cuttings are in flats and if room they will go on the heat bed for a
week or so this time of year.

Again scream at me if needed as my falls are really full. Trying to get the last of the projects done and getting the house ready for winter.
Attachments
20100921_62.JPG
20100921_62.JPG (23.27 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
20100921_73.JPG
20100921_73.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
20100921_74.JPG
20100921_74.JPG (30.82 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

Thanks Karma! I'll try to do this with the one I got this year and take photos for you.

The place I get my geraniums from is awesome! This year they had three different glorious reds, then had the fancy leaf ones (I'll try to photograph those for you) the tri-colored ones, some with pink flowers and some may have had and orangey red. One really pretty pink, which sadly died on me. the one I want to keep over winter (and maybe now do cuttings from) was a varigated leaf of green and white with real pretty flowers.

There may be a few geranium shots on my site (http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13) But I'll try to remember to take some more tonight and post some.

Do you keep them under the lights all winter long, or will a west window (with not a whole ton of sun) be enough? My dad has all my lights to do his peppers and tomatoes, maybe I can get him to add a few cuttings for me too.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
kHT

Post by kHT »

You are so welcome and you have some great photos in your album. Keep shooting!!

I would put them in a north or east window and not west or south for the winter months. Here we leave them on the heat bed for about a month and them move them
to another higher shelf, yes these are in the greenhouse all winter. We have low E windows so if they come inside that means they will need added light. We also keep the
leaf grow to a min. which helps with the root growth.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

Oh my, so these lovely red geraniums can be save for next year. Ah, something I learned today. I will definitely keep my red and white geraniums. I used them for my "I am canadian" theme.

Gardengirl:) Lovely, very lovely photos. Thanks for sharing.
New Topic Post Reply