Petunia

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Petunia

Post by sweetee »

Hi, I plant petunias every year and then just let them die off in my window boxes during the winter. Come spring, I always have new petunias popping up from the seeds. Normally, they are a solid purple or bright pink. This year, I had this beautiful petunia pop up. Every flower is a bit different Some are pink and white, semi-pinweels. Others look like this photo, and yet others are almost white with a light splashing of pink. Apparently all from the same plant. Has anyone ever seen petunias like this? Thanks :D
Attachments
Petunia
Petunia
Just another picture of how different the flowers look
Just another picture of how different the flowers look
1058.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Petunia

Post by kHT »

Oh the wonders of Mother Nature! We had a single one pop up in the corn patch this year. It was pink and white, as I do only purple ones here.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

That is a nice Blaack-eyed Susan you have there too. PRETTY Coot :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
otnorot

Post by otnorot »

The petunia in the second picture,if you see another one just like that then pollinate it with its own pollen put a paper bag over it to stop it from being pollinated by something else and save those seeds. you have a new color combo that would be very popular with the general public .You could sell it to hallson Gardens.
Bill
Old but still learning
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

What would be the odds of that coming back from seed? Worth a try though if it were in my garden.
Also, once it's opened there is probably a reasonably good chance it's already been pollinated by another flower. Yes/no?
otnorot

Post by otnorot »

Bob you have to be right there to make sure your the pollinator.Its worth a try and its fun to see if you can beat Mother nature.I used to hybridize Iris and I would put a paper bag over the unopened bloom to protect it from pollinators,but I had the advantage as I knew what the bloom liked like.
Bill
Old but still learning
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Makes sense. thanks!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Beautiful...................Coot :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply