Lantana question

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

blonde elf

Lantana question

Post by blonde elf »

Hello! I planted a lot of lantana in pots this year and it was all beautiful. It's the first time I've planted lantana in several years. Now that temps are cooling, all the lantana are putting on small dark purple berries. These purple berries are growing where the old blooms fell off.

My question is: Are these berry things seeds? If I save them and pot them next spring, will they grow into new lantana plants? Or should I leave the berries on the dying plants for the birds to eat?

Thanks for your help!

Laura (*~*)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Lantana question

Post by Chris_W »

The berries will have seeds inside them. Once ripe the seeds inside should be black and those could be started indoors this winter for next year's plants. My seed starting book says to start them three months ahead of time, soak the seeds for 24 hours before potting them, keep them in a warm spot, and can take up to 2 months for the seeds to germinate. Germination will only take place when the soil is 70 to 75 degrees, so you might need a propagation heating mat to do it.

Good luck!

Chris
blonde elf

Post by blonde elf »

Thanks Chris! I appreciate your response. Then, I'm going to keep some of those berries and try to propagate them.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Hi! I keep lantana over winter here in z4. I really have come to like them... I have grow lights in my basement and keep many of the tender plants over winter... this season I purposely put some of them into their own pots so they would have less disturbance when they move in for the winter. I' ve probably got 4 or maybe 5 lantanas. If they are in mixed planters I dig them out and pot them individually, cutting back to 3 to 4 sets of leaves. Keep close under lights and water only when top of soiless mix is dry, but not bone dry. No feeding during this time. When you put them out in spring they will take off. Feed and water as you normally did. Plants will be even bigger and nicer than last yr. Especially good if there is one you really like. I read that they can also be started from cuttings, though I have never tried it. I do make sure to deadhead and keep the seeds trimmed off stem ends throughout the summer and it keeps the blooms coming. Another thing, some people are sensitive to the hairs and the "berries" are poisonous. You might find this link useful... http://www.gardensablaze.com/Perennials ... antana.htm Good Luck with your lantanas! Jeanne
blonde elf

Post by blonde elf »

Thanks for the link, Happygdnr ~ I'm going to keep some seeds and try to propagate them next year. I don't have grow lights or bright enough sun coming in our windows to try to keep them. It's been at least 15 years since I planted lantana and they were so gorgeous this summer, plus they attracted every hummingbird in 3 states!! I definitely want more of them next year.
New Topic Post Reply