Has anyone used this as a ground cover near hosta?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Has anyone used this as a ground cover near hosta?

Post by addieotto »

Ceratostigma/Plumbago - has anyone ever used this as a groundcover under hosta? I did what I never do ... and bought it without a purpose and now I'm reading that it's very invasive :-? . I decided to keep it and give it a shot because nothing seems to be truly uncontrollably invasive in my ridiculously poor soil.

One of the safest places for it if it is invasive is an island bed whose borders are patrolled by my dogs. Nothing makes it past the dogs. But there are also some great hosta in the bed. Will it crowd them out unmercifully if it takes hold?

I'm a sucker for blue flowers :roll: . If anyone has an experience good or bad, I would appreciate hearing about it :D :D !

Thanks
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

I really like this plant! True, it rambles but I find it easy to pull out. I tried it with hostas when I first bought it and it didn't do very well. So, I moved it to the south side of my home and it is thriving! So, in my experience,anyway, it does better with a little more sun. Hope this helps :P
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I've had it in a 2x5 spot for years. It can't go anywhere because of landscaping timbers. Love the blue flowers and the great red fall leaf color.
New Topic Post Reply