OC 's 07 Perennials

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Thanks Renaldo

Post by oldcoot »

Joy loves them so OC ordered some last fall and planted them for her. The Red and White one you See, got hit by our last freeze. It was just coming up. Lost several on either side of it but still really happy with the ones that have bloomed. Just got to get Joy to let me ride out and take a few more pictures of them.....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Not as oustanding as the tulip

Post by oldcoot »

But still pretty.....A Red Anemonae...Planted it years ago and it comes back every Spring................Sure sign that Spring is definitely here.....
Attachments
Red Anemonae - Yard (2).jpg
Red Anemonae - Yard (2).jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Last of the Daffodils

Post by oldcoot »

Theses are in the front yard where the Anemone was, in fact right behind hem. We are starting to get really dry here again. Keep calling for rain but never seems to get here.

Please enjoy - WHILE THEY LAST OC
Attachments
07 Daffs - Front Yard hrz.jpg
07 Daffs - Front Yard hrz.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Libby

Post by Libby »

I love that single red flower, OC! It makes a beautiful portrait photo.
oldcoot

Red & White Parrott Tulip

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D to go with the Red & Yellow one OC posted earlier... Enjoy. With 30* called for tonight, won't be there tomorrow.....OC
Attachments
07 Rd &White Parrott Tulip.jpg
07 Rd &White Parrott Tulip.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
oldcoot

Wild Violets

Post by oldcoot »

OC moved these beauties from the front yard under the Forsythia bush to the back yard several years ago and this is the first year they have put up.......Since the ones in the front yard come back every year OC guesses That they are perennials...Shot with OC 's 300 mm lens set on Macro.....

Enjoy
Attachments
07 Wild Violets.jpg
oldcoot

Lamb's Ear before freeze

Post by oldcoot »

Have a whole bed of these planted in front of my container rack in the back yard. Havn't been back out this week, but hope to Friday to see what's left. This Bed was really startig to put out......

Had a really nice warm = 50* rain during the night and it is continuing today. That should really start getting thngs back to normal - as normal can be now...OC
Attachments
s Ear.jpg
s Ear.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh Coot, love the red and white parrot!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh man....I too, love that Parrot......Your doing great with that camera......I don't have to scroll back and forth to read....:lol: Keep up the good work!! I have no idea how this year is going to be in the garden...we have been having SNOW and rain and they say we could get hail ....So John, keep us in beautiful pictures! I love the frames, too!!

Thanks for sharing!! :D
oldcoot

Double Daff and Yellow Tulip

Post by oldcoot »

These had been hit by a 34* night, so the next day OC went out to shoot what left. Almost waited too long for these..

Double Daffs sure are pretty. OC has some pure chalk white one that grow in the front yard. They had just sent up pods when the freeze hit. They didn't make it..

Please enjoy - OC sure did
Attachments
2X Yellow Daff-Yellow Tulip Frame HRZ.jpg
2X Yellow Daff-Yellow Tulip Frame HRZ.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
oldcoot

Last of the prefreeze tulips

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D OC really Had some beautiful Tulips this year, but they never stood a chance. Lost most of them as thy bloomed, rest never made it all the way up. BUMMER

Please enjoy OC and Joy sure did.....
Attachments
07 Tulips-Bed HRZ-Frame.jpg
07 Tulips-Bed HRZ-Frame.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
2-tone Tulip 07 Bed HRZ Frame.jpg
2-tone Tulip 07 Bed HRZ Frame.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
oldcoot

Last of the pre bloom Tulips for OC

Post by oldcoot »

OC sure hate to see them go this year, They sure were pretty. Have no idea how many the Squirrel will leave me for next year. The was part of the bed that bloomed..

Enjoy OC and Joy sure did......................
Attachments
Multitulip Beds - Pre-Freeze -07 hrz -2.jpg
Multitulip Beds - Pre-Freeze -07 hrz -2.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
oldcoot

Unforunately, one dead canna

Post by oldcoot »

All four pots on OC's deck and many of the Cannas in the yard had put up nice foliage Pre- Freeze. This is one of the pots and the ones in the yard look just as bad. Not a good gardening season for Coot....BAAAAAAAh

This time with picture he hopes

Looking at it large scale, it seems Mr. Roscoe had planted an acorn in the Canna pot. The tree is growing better than the Canna.
Attachments
One Dead Canna 07 Deck.jpg
One Dead Canna 07 Deck.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Coot!!

Nice pictures except that last one... :o :lol:

I will be outside tomorrow and I hope I didn't lose too much either..... :x
oldcoot

Damage from the freeze that hit OC so hard

Post by oldcoot »

Seems to be over with many thing beginning to regenerate.
On Easter Sunday all my Cannas were lying on he ground dead, Elephant Ears that had started leafing out and had turned black. While OC was waiting on Joy to go to church this morning, he took a morning "tour" Cannas and Elephant Ears are really coming back.

This is what they looked like this morning. (this was one of my beds that had been cleaned 2 weeks ago. WEEDS !!!!

OC saying thank you Lord...........
Attachments
07 Cannas Coming Back.jpg
07 Cannas Coming Back.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
07 Cannas & Elephant Ears Coming back.jpg
07 Cannas & Elephant Ears Coming back.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow OC! You took very nice pictures of spring beauty! :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
oldcoot

Thanks everybody

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Appreciate those kind word Even if they are not deserved. This plant is a Coleus OC got from his Mother YEARS ago. She called it her wild Coleus, because it came back every year. Actually OC thinks it is a Palisandra, which sends out shoots and re-seeds itself. It stands heat beautifully if kept watered and will grow really tall, like most Coleus....

Enjoy OC 's hand-held shot....Tripod on the way....
Attachments
Palasandra.jpg
oldcoot

Oc thought he had posgtedx this one

Post by oldcoot »

but must have been on another group. When I planted this Dianthus last year, I thought it was an annual, in the summer it died back, after I broke my collarbone and couldn't water it anymore. But low and behold, it SURVIVED the freeze that killed everything else, and seems to have multiplied. You can bet I will plant some other colors.......OC thrilled at his surprise.....

(Taken without his tripod)
Attachments
Dianthus.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Nice pic, OC!! :P Some dianthus are listed as annuals, others as perennials. I've had some of the ones I bought as annuals come back another year or 2 sometimes even with our cold winters.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
oldcoot

Glad to know that Reynaldo

Post by oldcoot »

OC was looking at it this afternoon through the window, can barely see that far, and with three days of rain on it it seems to have really grown. The next time Michael comes to help me and we are out their planting the new hosta I got, can we dig up the clump and divide like I do Hosta ? Would LOVE to split it up.....Thanks OC
New Topic Post Reply