Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride'

Post by Chris_W »

Well, the catalog picture looked nice, the claims of hardiness were doubtful, but now I won't even know one way or another... I decided to order them anyway and figured that if worse came to worse I would keep some as a houseplant. Received a bag of 25 plants today - all rotten :roll: Oh well, maybe I really didn't need them that bad :lol:

Anyone else see this in the spring catalogs and order any?
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

:evil: I hate that when plants arrive rotten! :cry:

I hadn't heard/seen this one - looked it up after I read your post. :o Very pretty! Also saw Tradescantia caerulea plena might need to order some of these too.

Love my Sweet Kate (aka Blue n Gold). Osprey too!
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I really like Sweet Kate too. Got a bunch of those today that were nice large divisions - and alive :)

If you do find some T. Blushing Bride they might be hardy for you but I don't think they would have survived here in Michigan anyway. Looks like they didn't even survive in cold storage at the warehouse they had them at... :???:
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I've been drooling over the pictures, but haven't ordered any. That's a shame they arrived rotten. That happened to me last year with some i. foetidissima. The seller shipped them wrapped in wet paper towels and plastic in the middle of summer. Certain death for that type of iris, which should have gone bareroot and dry. Did they give you a refund?
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Credit towards a future order which I'm sure won't be placed until next year. But don't tell anyone, there was an extra bag of astilbe, so it isn't too big of a deal.

I always expect something to arrive DOA from just about every one of our suppliers. That and I expect to always get something that is so small you need a microscope to find it in the bag. But we'll try to grow those on - might take a couple years before we sell them though.
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Oh, I hate credit towards a future order - if they couldn't get it right the first time what makes them think I'd order again?? That is what made me order only once from Van Borgondian (yes, I learned my lesson). Bonus palnts are nice though - but I still can't get an astilbe to live for me. I think they just have a personal grudge. ;)
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Dead Plants

Post by oldcoot »

That was the reason for my post earlier about "guarentees". Based on the success you guys have had I filed with 4 vendors. Michigan bulb came through in three sweek with my new Roses. Actually they look like better stock that the ones I originally planted. I got a note today that another vendor which said he was shipping my replacements with my new order (a few daylilies to make sure he read the letter.) Glad to know these good folks are honest.

The Old Coot who is in glory today. Been 75* for four days, (rain called for tonight, but temps to stay warm. O.C. and Josh planted a zillion bulbs yesterday so look out for spring pictures
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Liselotte

Trads

Post by Liselotte »

Tradescantias have become an obsession :bd: Many years ago I ordered seeds of T. virginiana. Only 2 seedlings made it, a light and a medium blue. They grew like weeds and 2 years later I found a white one. We moved and I took a tiny slip of each. Found seeds of T. ohiensis, which gave me shades of blue. While shopping for Hostas, found LITTLE DOLL, HAWAIAN PUNCH, CONCORD GRAPE and RED GRAPE. The bees went crazy and made wonderful seedlings, even a variegated one (poor grower) Was delighte to find BLUE AND GOLD. However this one does not do well. (Was hoping to get some white with yellow foliage). Anyway, I am selecting for compact plants, but in the process find some with wonderful flowers all shades from white to dark purple. The question will be hardiness. :roll:
Riskey bud

Post by Riskey bud »

The only problem I have with the Tradescantias is that they're so invasive, and near impossible to keep in bounds
or to even remove. Miss one piece and it's right back. They sure are tough , if you love tough plants. Isn't the "Blushing Bride " the one that's supposed to have pink flowers? It looks to me though like the ones in the pictures have bright pink on the leaves as well, or am I seeing things?
Might be a different one I'm thinking of. I've gotten my share of rotten plants too!!! I got a potted Persicaria that was so rotted that the stems and roots had almost turned to compost. Hardly a trace left!!!
My, what a small world!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I'm glad to hear that someone has had luck with T. Sweet Kate! I didn't think it was possible to kill a tradescantia, but I've had two clumps of SK, and they've both faded away -- right next to a very vigorous clump of a different tradescantia that runs away all over the garden. Go figure! I'm not trying Sweet Kate anymore -- she'll have to be sweet in someone else's garden! Phyllis
Liselotte

Sweet Kate

Post by Liselotte »

Phyllis, although I have Blue and Gold, must be Sweet Kate renamed :roll: I can't find it yet! will wait until it gets warmer, but it may not have made it. Too bad, i did like it the first year, it was beautiful!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Ugh, just was looking through the junk catalogs today and there it is, being offered again: Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride' :roll:

After last year's failure getting this plant I spoke with some suppliers and tried to find more information on this and from what I've been told this is probably not a hardy perennial but more closely related to the houseplant types. The catalogs say zone 3 - 9, but I don't believe it. They were completly dead after being in cold storage last year, but the peat moss itself wasn't wet so I think it died just from the cold...

If anyone gets a living plant of it this spring keep us posted on it. I would be curious to know for sure.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Chris

Post by oldcoot »

I planted a Tradescandia last spring and it didn't make it through our horrid hot summer and I tried to keep it watered. Where is was it was in a shade bed and it may not have gotten ENOUGH sun. The 100* dry heat just burned it up I guess.

Gonna plant Hostas this year. Better survivors....

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot , named John, saying, "SPRING" is coming and in just 22 more days" and counting !!!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I saw Tradescantia "Blushing Bride" last night at the Garden Show. Wow! It's really a show-stopper! Very, Very pretty pink/white/green foliage. It wasn't blooming yet but really didn't need to be. I knew I'd read a post here about it but couldn't remember the concerns, darn it.

One of the bigger local landscaping companies used it alot in their displays. I think I'm gonna have to get it a try (unless they're charging an arm and a leg for it.) Maybe I'll be able to buy it "after the show" on Sunday night. Supposedly they sell most of the plants at greatly reduced prices at that time. I'll let you know. :)
insam

Post by insam »

ahh, the joys of the horticulture trade! small plants; plants inaproppriately or entirely mislabelled; seedlings and cultivars sold as clones; brand names sold as strains.
then there is the international stuff. seed sent with phytosanitation certificates not recognized by USDA and the dreaded USDA red taped package with the "confiscated and destroyed" note. what would it be like without such wonderful surprises. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply