What is your favorite/best peony hoop?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee
USDA Zone: 5

What is your favorite/best peony hoop?

Post by Dee »

Looking outside this morning, I realized I left a couple of peony stakes/grids outside and I remembered how much my peonies (doubles) still flopped over. Is there anything that works better? I was thinking of inverting tomato cages next year but I don't know if that is any better? Just trying to think happy spring thoughts. :lol:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Dee we use tomatoe cages here, 36 of them to be exact! Love them and they do a great job.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks karma!! I think I will just get some then and test 'em out here in the ol' Midwest this spring. Thanks for the reply! :D
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Dee- I also use tomato cages. I cut the bottom ring off with wire cutters so they are wider. I too live in the Midwest and I think this works really well. Lots cheaper than some of the hoops sold specifically for peonies!
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

IC, you cut the bottom ring off but leave the metal legs, right? So that way the legs go out further & the plant has more room to grow up to the next ring, right?

I got a ton of 60" heavy duty tomato cages at walmart last year for 10 cents each at the end of season! I thought I'd put them on my mums, asters, peony & what ever else I can think of!

Dee, why were you thinking of inverting the cages? I can't decide if that would help or not.
New Topic Post Reply