Passiflora ??

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Passiflora ??

Post by mommatina »

I was just wondering if anyone has grown passiflora from seeds? and should you winter sow the seeds? and does anyone have any???? LOL
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Hey Tina! I'll bet KHT can answer your questions for you.
YOOOOHOOOooo! KHT!
Probably be on late on tonight. :wink:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:lol: :lol: OED Passifloras from seeds can be tricky, soak them in OJ for 24 hours before sowing them. Oh how I wished you would of said something a few weeks ago. My first attempts in crossing produced some great looking seeds but they are now planted in dirt. They can be disappointing if you want them to bloom right away, I would recommend a cutting to see if you like them. We just finished takeing 6 qt jars worth of cuttings this last week so keep your fingers crossed, we will have some rooted by spring. These are mainly the P. Caerulea and Lavendar Lady. There are certain varieties I wouldn't recommend for your first attempts. Now I know that is more than you wanted to know, right? :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:eek: OJ! :cool: Does that take the place of acid soaks that some seeds require? Would nicking the seed help?
kHT

Post by kHT »

Ya got it, no OJ is better than nicking in my book. :wink: Ya might nick the wrong thing. :wink: :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:o :o :D :wink:
kHT

Post by kHT »

OED, fingers, counting to ten here! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Yea.......fingers........that's what I was thinkin.......too. :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :wink:
kHT

Post by kHT »

:oops: :lol: :cool: :oops: :lol: :oops: Thanks for the LOL and chat, who needs a chatroom? :wink:
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

Thanks for the advice KHT. :o . and thanks for the laughs OED.. I needed both... :wink: so karma you don't think it would really be a good idea to winter so seeds... I have about 28 different things going right now.. and just thought I would give these a try.. I can trade for 4 different types.. *Incanata, Purple, Mayhop, Golden Giant* (seeds) I don't know about anything about them , other than I really love them.... I find the (passion vine) to be one of the most interesting flowers... and really want to grow these.. but guess I will wait for cuttings.. thanks so much for the advice...OJ interesting.. never heard that before...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Tina, check your email. If you want help just yell. :cool:
Christie-SW-MO

Post by Christie-SW-MO »

I winter sowed p. incarnata last year. I think that's the only one that would be hardy for me here. I had several germinate (more than half) and planted them out in the spring when they were still very small. Some of them made one or two blooms and even set fruit which surprised me. I didn't know they would bloom the first year. The fruit set on too late to finish before fall but at least I got to see what they look like.
I don't remember nicking or soaking the seeds. I had a donut container and filled it with potting soil and set it outside after I'd sown the seeds. I do think it was early in the winter so they would've had a few freeze/thaw cycles before they germinated so maybe that helped.
I don't know yet whether mine will make it through the winter and they're supposed to be tough to transplant. Stupid me planted mine about six inches apart so I will have to move them. I could try to send you one if the roots don't go all the way to China when I start digging and if they make it through the winter or could save you some seeds later this summer if you remind me. Since I've read that they are difficult to transplant, I'm not sure this would be a good one to mail.
New Topic Post Reply