trouble with blue bells

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardendollee

trouble with blue bells

Post by Gardendollee »

So... I have had Mertensia, Virginia blue bells in my garden for 3 years now and I am getting a little concerned.

I get nice blue-green foliage and have never had a bloom. Does this plant need to mature first?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Dolly
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Dolly,

Depending on how big they were or if you grew them from seed, yes, they can take a few years to bloom.

They also don't like heavy, wet soil. The best plants I've grown have been in good but dry soil. After a while they formed really big colonies by self-seeding.

Good luck with yours!

Chris
insam

Post by insam »

Dolly, I agree with Chris. It does take a while but they are faster to bloom than many wildflowers... often blooming in the second or third year from seed.
Do your plants get plenty of sun in Spring? Sun is very important for woodland wildflowers though they are often sold as shade plants. As long as they're healthy, I'm sure you'll have nice surprises to come. As Chris mentioned, once they do bloom and set seed you'll be getting LOTS of them.
New Topic Post Reply