My dahlia tubers made it! Need advice on what is next.

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

My dahlia tubers made it! Need advice on what is next.

Post by caliloo »

I have never before been successful in saving dahlia tubers. They either dry out or rot, but not this year! :D :D :D Each of them has little white feeder roots poking out!

Anyway, my next dilemma is I want them to get a head start in pots, but I am not sure if I should keep them attached or separate each tuber into it's own plant? One has 3 large lobes and the other has 2. In my frenzy of spring fever, I put them in pots with MiracleGro pottin soil yesterday, but I could still dig them up and split them if that is recommended.

Thansk in advance!

Alexa
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Personally, I wouldn't split them this year. Do you want a really nice clump or a couple smaller clumps? Grow them on this year, divide next year. You'll have a much better showing this summer that way.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Agreeing with KellieD but why MG soil? I have seen that mold really fast and that scares me. You know you can sink them in the pot and that will help save when it's time to dig up? We sink lots of plants in their own pots here.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Alexa, Congrats on keeping them over the winter!!
I will have to run to the basement and check on mine now. Like you, I have never been able to keep them over winter. This year I tried 3 different methods. 2 I've tried before, the new method was the saran wrap method.

Sorry, I am no help in your quest for information on what to do with them now though.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

Another vote for you to leave them intact this year...if they are only one year old. I've tried saving AND leaving in ground...have had success with both ways. But I'm thinking I read somewhere to let them get a couple year's growth, at least, before dividing.
New Topic Post Reply