wee iris blooming

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

wee iris blooming

Post by Annie »

I was out in my yard several hours yesterday, cleaning up old plants and cutting down my grasses. And look what I found under a bunch of leaves!
I forgot I had them there LOL. I can't remember what kind they are but they are only like 4 or 5" tall, and so cute.
This is their 2nd year for them to bloom.
Attachments
iris really closeup mgi.jpg
iris clumpmgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Iris reticula :-?

They are so beautiful, and yours have a lovely color. We have them too, but here I have been most succesful with the purple ones, they have come back for 4 years now. The dark blue ones have had a 10% surviving, exept fot this year :D a hole clumb of them came again ...
Do you think it is becaurce I was tired of looking after them and stopped bying anymore blue ones last year :-?
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yup... Iris reticulata. They are wonderful little bulbs. My Iris bucharica is blooming now in a nice, bright yellow out front by the street :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Iris reticulata have been one of my favorites for years! Isn't it wonderful to see them every March?

Those are gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks for telling me the name. I remember planting them but I'm bad for remembering the names LOL.
I didn't know there were different colors :o

I'm liking the idea of some yellow ones!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Midnight Reiter Too

I have usually planted dark purple ones, but once I had light blue ones called 'Cantab.' And there are white ones --- I think they're called 'Natasha.'
Midnight Reiter Too

The yellow ones aren't Iris reticulata; they're Iris danfordiae.

"Also referred to as a Dwarf Iris is the species Iris danfordiae. It shares most of the characteristics of the Iris reticulata except that: (a) it is a bright canary yellow, and (b) when left in the ground, the bulbs break up into bulblets. As a result, it may take quite a while for these Irises to re-bloom in subsequent years."

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbul ... fIris.html

If you scroll down at that site, you can see some photos!
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks for the web site. Aren't they all just so pretty?

~~Annie~~
Midnight Reiter Too

Oh, yes. Now I can go to bed and have pleasant gardening dreams. :) Goodnight, Annie.
oldcoot

THAT DOES IT

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. just put a note on his computer frame that says ORDER IRIS RETICULATA when you order your fall bulbs.
Every year he say s he will, but gets looking at the Tulips and Daffodills and forgets ALL ABout them. This fall he WILL order them first...

That Funny & Friendky Old Coot saying" I sure am glad it's SPRING"
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Beautiful blue in those tiny fellas!

I have some deep purple iris that I found on a great uncle's grave several years ago!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/679 ... 9611NqTTTD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/679 ... 3501jGSfmu

While "visiting" my Father's grave, I wandered thru the old cemetary, marveling at the survival of many different flowers. As I walked up to the uncle's stone, I noticed MANY little blades of iris foliage growing out into the mowed grass. The soil is horrible clay.....but over the past 50-60 years, the rhizomes had been cut up and strewn out 8' from the headstone. I HAD to save 'em!! I carefully loosened a handful.....put those dried and shriveled little guys in a bucket of water a day before planting in a pot of soilless mixture. They were ignored and forgotten until the next spring, when I noticed the most beautiful blaze of purple out where the candytuft was blossoming! They had survived even in the pot! They multiplied VERY quickly....and I have shared them many times....and even dig up a few more each year.

I simply called them "Cemetary Iris" for years, then was told that this particular variety was actually planted around gravestoves years ago and called....."Cemetary Iris"!

Hmmmmm.......Now if only those fern-leafed peonies I noticed had been planted on a relatives grave........p :wink:
oldcoot

GOOD FOR YOU.

Post by oldcoot »

It is amazing how Iris will just MULTIPLY when cut up like that. Thank you for saving the Iris. (Oh by the way, O.C. has about TWENTY growing in pots on his deck he will show you when they bloom. They do real well in pots, if the pots are large enough.)

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he SURE is glad Spring is finally here....For him
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply