Mystery seedling masquerading as a Heuchera

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Mystery seedling masquerading as a Heuchera

Post by GrannyNanny »

My seedling heucheras are up and growing, but there's an intruder in the batch! I thought at first it was just a very toothy-leaved heuch, but by now it has grown large enough for me to tell that it is definitely NOT. I'll attach pics -- one of this plant by itself, and another with it next to the heuchera tray whence it came.
The mystery is how it got into the heuchera seeds, since I strip everything off the heuchera stalk and just put it all into the envelope, seed pod and all. This seed must have fallen, or been blown by the wind, onto the heuchera stalk, and have thus piggybacked its way into the envelope! It can't have come in the potting soil, because I only buy the soil-less sterilized mix, and after that I moisten it with boiling water to kill any hitch-hikers. 'Tis a puzzlement!
If you know what this mystery plant is, please let me know. It's probably some kind of noxious weed, but I'll let it grow and flower before I throw it out. Phyllis
Attachments
2005 3 Mystery plant and heucheras.jpg
2005 3  Mystery plant.jpg
insam

Post by insam »

do you have any Tiarella plants in your garden? Could it be a natural inter-generic cross?
DryGulch

Tiarella

Post by DryGulch »

Tiarella has my vote... it could be some new cross, sport...and if interesting the folks at Terra Nova will be talking with you... :lol:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Thanks, folks -- I never thought of Tiarella, or of a Heucherella, either. Wouldn't that be cool? I do have some tiarellas in the garden, so it's a possibility. I'll certainly keep you posted as it grows. Again, thanks! Phyllis
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Looks like a tiarella baby to me, or maybe a cross to a heucherella? I think it's a nice surprise :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Disappointment -- it can't be anything in the Heuchera/Tiarella?Heucherella line, because it has a central stem, from which leaves branch off at intervals, and on opposite sides of the stalk. All the above have leaves that emerge from the crown. So, now what? I'll post again next week, when it's had a chance to grow a bit more. Phyllis
DryGulch

Mystery seedling?

Post by DryGulch »

Could it be a mum or daisy?
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

No, it's definitely not a mum, or a daisy -- the leaves are not toothy enough for that. I looked at it today when I watered it, and it's grown a couple of new leaves, so a pic would be a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow, and post it here. I did notice that the stem has fine little hairs on it, something that was not apparent when it was smaller. Watch this space for a new pic! Phyllis
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Nicandra physaloides?
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Viktoria -- Have no idea, since I don't know what that is. I'm on my way to look it up! Thanks for the suggestion -- have a look at the new pics under a new thread. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply