Dividing perennials?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Dividing perennials?

Post by wishiwere »

Is there a site that explains which perennials can or cannot be dividing and how? This is the first year for catmint and yarrow and was wondering how/when and such I can do this? If at all? Also a sedum simialar to autumn joy that I'd like to split if possible? Are they all the same as autumn joy. One inparticular is a variagated type?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
DryGulch

Philistine mongul hoard divider at your service!

Post by DryGulch »

After reading Mike's careful and expert divison of a hosta from the link in the hosta forum, I feel like Philistine! Most perennials I just grab my shovel and Ka-thwack! I slash them right through the middle, dig a hole throw them in and stomp....

Well, not quite...I don't stomp because I have heard the roots actually breath...but pretty much just like that.

I have found that if you divide a perennial very early in its growing season not only can you get a lot of divisions, but they all get to almost the same size as the parent was the previous year. I have though nothing of taking a sedum and dividing with a butcher knife into about 40 pieces each with about 3 eyes and an inch square of root and potted, they fill a gallon container by the end of July.

Not only can you do crown division but a lot of sedum will root from a stem cutting. So once your plant is about 4"-5" tall you could clip off the top 2'-3" inches and pot it. They will root without a rooting hormone.

The yarrow and the catmint, I would use the Ka-thwack method.

Yeah, I'm a Philistine...

For more finesse on the subject I recommend the "The Well-tended Perennial Garden". Great book!

Dividing perennials can be brutal, but I'm a results person. The results are all that matters.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jane,

This is the place to ask for perennial dividing advice :)

DryGulch has some great advice.

Sedum is easy. I've also done cuttings right down the middle of a stem and as was said, as long as you get some buds with it they will take.

Yarrow can also be divided up into lots of pieces. Just dig it up and go at it. You will see that it is made up of lots of smaller plants anyway.

Catmint is one that you will want to be a little more careful about. When you dig it make sure you get some well rooted sections upon division. If you thwack it in the wrong spot it might not take too easily, but leave big pieces and no problem. :)

Let us know if you have any other plants in need of dividing and feel free to ask.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

THanks, so far that is all that are really coming up well, so untill the next rain :) I appreaciate all your help. This is the first year for my perennials to really need attention with everything I put in around them last year :)
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The first Autumn Joy I had was grown from a leaf I stuck in the ground. Just about ANY piece of sedum will grow with almost no care. The other two are definately "Ka-thwack" kinda perennials. :wink:
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: Is Ka-thwack in the dictionary? :lol:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, if you look under dry-gulch, there's an explanation with graphics of the correct positioning of the body just right over the foot!! :lol:
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I think ka-thwak should be in the dictionary! I use that method for a lot of really tough plants and it works great. Others I'm a bit more careful with LOL! I also recommend the book "The Well-Tended Perennial Garden" by Traci DiSabato-Aust (or something like that). You should be able to pick up a copy of it at your local library.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
New Topic Post Reply