The Mystery continues -- Granny Nanny's plant 4/23

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

The Mystery continues -- Granny Nanny's plant 4/23

Post by GrannyNanny »

Well, I took pics again today, and this plant is as much a mystery as ever. The leaves look more and more like the leaves of some kind of tree, but I have NEVER seen a tree seedling that has this kind of growth habit. All the ones I've seen -- ash, elm, maple -- put up a woody stem with some leaves at the top. They don't have little branches coming off the main stem, all the way up. Here are the pics -- let me know what you make of them, if anything. Phyllis
Attachments
Seedlings 2005 Mystery plant top view 4 23.jpg
Seedlings 2005 Mystery plant side view 4 23.jpg
Seedlings 2005 Mystery plant side view 4 23.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Seedlings 2005 Mystery plant 4 23.jpg
Seedlings 2005 Mystery plant 4 23.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

It still looks like some kind of berry to me!!

The deep grooves on the leaves....and that particular kind of growth habit (branches coming from main stem) sure is the way they grow! Take a look at the foliage of some of the raspberries at this link......see what you think;

http://www.starkbros.com/access?action= ... rentPage=2

Picking those wild berries and making jelly is my favorite summer past time.....next to GARDENING that is!....p :wink:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

The leaves are too big for raspberry leaves -- I spent my growing-up living near people who had a huge raspberry patch, and the leaves were much different. One of the raspberry pics that shows a bit of the leaves looks a bit like the leaves on the Mystery plant, but not enough for an ID. Thanks for the suggestion, however -- we'll just have to wait and see. I'll keep posting pics, and if and when it blooms that should tell us something. Phyllis
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Still looks the most like birch to me, but I've never known a seedling birch to put up multiple leaders.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I thought raspberry when I first saw the post, but am not that good of an observant to make a comment! LOL

Am very curious about it too, so please keep posting updates :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Very curious indeed. I haven't been following this thread closely so you may have already ruled this out. Could it be something in the mint family. Is there any scent if you crush a leaf?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I was wondering about it being an herb, but not real knowledgable about those either! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Good thought, but there's no scent, and the leaves have so much substance that they do feel more like leaves from a tree. BUT, there's that non-woody stem, and all those stems growing out of it. Thanks for guessing -- I'm willing to consider anything! Phyllis
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

Phyllis,
I also think it is a tree. I have one growing in a potted Harry Walking Cane shrub I bought 2 years ago. The roots were so enterwine with my shrub that I just kept cutting the top growth of the tree seedling back. But it is still there. Not a tree I am familar with but it is persistent.

Becky in TN
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Anything in the mint family has a square stem and opposing leaves. My (for now :D ) guess would be a mulberry tree.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Mulberry -- now there's a thought! Can't imagine where it would have come from, however, since I've never SEEN one anywhere around here (the only ones I've seen were in England, and I don't remember anything about their leaves.) I'll have to do some sleuthing and see. Keep guessing, all the rest of you! Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply