O.C.'s summer Perennials

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C.'s summer Perennials

Post by oldcoot »

Just like elsewhere, O.C. has found what he believes are Dahlias. He planted some in what he thought was the sun last spring but turned out to be SHADE. His Dahlias became leggy , but did bloom. He moved them out into the sum and they CONTINUED to bloom nicely, when staked up up. They did NOT come back in that bed, up as he had ecxpected. HOEVER, when hed cleaned OUT that shade bed, WAY dosw in that good dirt, he found these plants. He believes they are the original Dahlia plants. Were BURIEDC under a PILE of unraked leaves last fall. Moved them out into the front of the newly cleaned out Daylily Bed. Can't wait to see if that is what they really are !!

That usually Funny and always VERY Friendly Old Coot, named John, REALLY enjoying Spring with all of God's pretty Flowers........and TODAY glowing with pride at the new ones blooming in his yard and on his deck !!!!
Attachments
2nd Year Dahlias (4).jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

O.C.'s border plants....

Post by oldcoot »

This mederterranean Pink is from another bed, delivered by Carrier Bumble bee, Half way across the yard. It sure looks good there, so O.C. hopes it takes and multiplies....The other bed is real pretty. It is more shady and when it blooms, O.C. will shows that one to you also..This one lonedly bloom is right in the middle of a PLANTED Ajuga patch.

That usually Funny and always VERY Friendly Old Coot, named John, REALLY enjoying Spring with all of God's pretty Flowers........and TODAY glowing with pride at the new ones blooming in his yard and on his deck !!!!
Attachments
Med-Pink & Ajuga - 05.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

OC, those look more like lilies than dahlias, but I can't be sure from the picture. Whatever they are, WAY TO GO!!
oldcoot

O.C. will sure let you know when they bloom

Post by oldcoot »

but doesn't think they are Lilies. He didn't have any Lilies in the bed he took hem from, but DID have Dahlias. Hey, time will sure tell won't it. Whatever they are, they sure are healthy....

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: I don't know what they are, Coot....But it's fun getting surprises, isn't it! :D

keep watching your mail....... :P
oldcoot

It sure is.

Post by oldcoot »

We got a early RAIN again this morning. Nice gentle showers. MAN THEY LOOK good..

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Don't know either, can you get a closer pic?

Isn't it great how the birds and the bees transfer our gardens around their liking :) It's kinda of like 'country gardening' at its best! Surprises are always fun, as long as they aren't obnoxious! Like raspberries in EVERY bed I own from the danged birds! :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot

I'll do that in the morning

Post by oldcoot »

Looks like O.C. will have some more IRIS blooming tomorrow and when he shoots them, he take a close up of what he think are Dahlias, for you at the same time Country Garden is actually the name of that bed because O.C. had so many things planted in it last year. Iris, Liliums, Daylilies, Purple Liatris,Dahlias, Daffodills around the edge, Large Plants with large Deep Red round heads he never DID know the name of, and Gladiolas. Not sure all will come back but will put plants in the bare places as he can with summer plants that take heat. I have some Sunflower seed left over from the Deck Pots, I may let Danny plant them between the Cannas. Looks like there are a few bare spaces in that row. At one time O.C. had conmsidered movomg some of his Shasta Daiseys and Black Eyes Susans from the front yard into that bed, but thought better of it as he realized how INVASIVE they would be.

O.C. Thanks you for thinking of him.

oldcoot

Per you request

Post by oldcoot »

Here are two pictures closer to the plant. With that good rain it got, look at that stem...

O.C.
Attachments
Dahlia.jpg
Dahlia -2 CG.jpg
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Looks more like a toad lily (tricyrtis) than dahlia. Not a lily at all!
oldcoot

NOW THAT COULD BE !!!

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. did have sevral planed in that bed that bloomed last year. He just remembered when you said that that he had also several Pardancada Norisii planted in that bed that DID not come up. Won't it be fun to swet THIS one out ??

Thanks....

oldcoot

At Lastg

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. can finally post some of his goodies.......

His Elephant ears are nowhere as big as they were last year. I guess the cold wet spring held them back. With several 90+ degree days lately, they have started growing again........

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year
Attachments
EE-O5 Front (2).jpg
oldcoot

A beautiful Bed

Post by oldcoot »

At least it was two weeks ago. Had Orange and Yellow Lilies everywhere. Red and Orange Daylilies to set them off..
Wish you could haved seen it at it peak

O.C.'s Glads opened last night and are really filling out today..They front the Daylily bed.

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year [/b]
Attachments
Glads & Daylily Bed.jpg
oldcoot

Shasta Daiseys grown in container on O.C back deck

Post by oldcoot »

Dug these up out of a big bed in the front yard, as a trial. Worked so well am going to plant a LARGE pot full next year. Also a big pot of Black Eyed Susans

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year
Attachments
Deck Shasta Daiseys.jpg
oldcoot

Got a dozen Mixed Cannas as replacements for the ones

Post by oldcoot »

That didn't even botter to come up. I think I planted them either too early or too late because nobodys Cannas came up except the ones I had divided. Even the ones in the pots I had blooming last summer (from the yard) didn't show. Miserable spring weather. Got two blooming in the back of my Iris bed beside the house that look realy pretty..
Attachments
New CANNA Plant in pot on Deck.jpg
oldcoot

The crocosmia

Post by oldcoot »

Had gotten so tall it broke off. I saw it in the middle of the Shasta Daisey Bed, on my morning look around.
Attachments
Crocosmia-OC.jpg
oldcoot

And continuing on...........

Post by oldcoot »

Picasso Canna:2nd year to bloom. Beautiful Yellow with Orange spots...Getting hit hard by the heat and lack of rain.

Attachments
Picasso-Canna.jpg
oldcoot

Just a pretty weed

Post by oldcoot »

This weed came up in a pot I had Liliums growing in. It was so pretty, O.C. just HAD to take a picture of it....AND show it to you...

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardner for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his all good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year.
Attachments
Pretty Weed-O.C.jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

What do they say? Weeds are just flowers growing in the wrong place :)

It is pretty! As is your canna! Beautiful!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot

Went out to check on Deck Cannas today

Post by oldcoot »

To see how they stood the rain yesterday. Did really good and look like these new ones are really growing. Can't wait untl they bloom. Maybe O.C. can catch these before the blooms burn up..

Didn't realized until I starting editing that the rain was still on them. I had only planned to show the detail in the leaf structure. But the rain lookd so pretty, I made it the center of the picture.....

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardner for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his all good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year.
Attachments
Canna after the Rain - OC.jpg
New Topic Post Reply