Question about Peonies

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyGardner

Question about Peonies

Post by GrannyGardner »

I have four large peonies that are planted right against the foundation of our home. We need to do some painting on that side of the house. Now that the peonies have finished blooming can I cut them back without killing them? Thanks.
DryGulch

Peonies

Post by DryGulch »

Around here, I have seen a lot of peonies planted out in lawns that after they bloomed people just mowed them off. :eek:

They seemed to always come back.

Personally, I think the tubers probably need the leaves for a while to store enough starch/sugar for the winter and next season's bloom.

I would leave the foliage during the painting, cover with a drop cloth (they come in 4' by 12' and other lengths and are cheap) and clip off whatever gets too ratty.

Regardless, I don't think they will die on you.
John

Post by John »

I agree that the foliage would be better left on the plants until it starts to die back naturally in the fall, when it should be removed. This should help ensure flowers next spring.
GrannyGardner

Post by GrannyGardner »

Thanks for the replies. I'll just try to fit the ladder between bushes. They're enormous this year and I certainly don't want them to die from mishandling.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Well I'm going to disagree and matter of fact I need my matoe cages so I'm going to be wacking ours back today!
I have been doing this for over 15 years now and they bloom like crazy! I need the cages which I put out every spring to support the peonies and when I cut them back I leave at least 8" of stalk.
JP01Ottawa

Post by JP01Ottawa »

Hello, this is my first post. I have always trim my peonies in a neat little bush after blooming and it has been doing well. You could probably do that and push the leaves away from the wall or trim only on the side of the wall and it shoud likey do well. Good luck.
New Topic Post Reply