Pardancanda Seedlings Blooming

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Love that purple, Andi! I have the orange/w spots, and plain orange (thanks to Jane H. :)) But that purple is just... WOW! :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Deb, do you ever get yellow from the ones I gave you?? My batch has occassional yellows.

Love all the other colors, mine are the more common orange, yellow, and spotted.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Thanks! These are some of the other colors I got from John's seeds...
Attachments
Pardancanda4 082003.jpg
Pardancanda 081103.jpg
Pardancanda2 082003.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I agree with everyone......the purple is to die for! :D Andi, those are very pretty!! I can't wait till next year to see what I have in the two clumps that didn't bloom yet.....

Thanks for sharing!!Keep the picture's coming!! Love all the different ones! :D
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Nope, no yellow, Jane. Maybe one day there will be. I love them, no matter what color they are. Just one more type of Lily for me to enjoy :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
John

Post by John »

Deb, you know your Lily is an Iris right? As long as you enjoy it! A Blackberry Lily or Candy Lily is beautiful no matter the name... I like the name used in some Nordic country, Karamel Lily~ pretty, and probably a translation of sorts of candy lily.

Mine are starting to bloom, first was a huge yellow and orange one, photos soon; seeds later!
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

No $hit??? Really? Wow, you learn something new every day. Then why not call them Blackberry Iris?? :roll: :lol:
John

Post by John »

Hmmm, that would be too logical...

In the foreseeable future, Pardancanda will be re-classified as Iris x norrisii anyway... thus losing its bigeneric mystique.

Both of its parents, Pardanthopsis dichotoma and Belamcanda x hybridus have been or will be reclassified as Iris; thus their offspring will be an Iris as well.

There is only one Pardanthopsis species, and two Belamcanda (some think there should be one only). The two are B. chinensis (orange) and B. flava (yellow); the Belamcanda used to create Pardancanda was a hybrid of the two 'species'.

If it were up to me, I would revert to using the original Genus name for all these plants, Pardanthus.
oldcoot

Does sthat explain

Post by oldcoot »

Why the foliage is shaped like an Iris ??

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
John

Post by John »

Because it is in the Iris family, and that sword-like foliage is typical...

The yellow form of Belamcanda has the best foliage, more of a blue-green color, and more vigorous. Also somewhat shorter and less floppy.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh, how pretty, Andi! :cool:

Here are a few more of mine. The first one is a little clearer pic of the one from The Daylily Farm. The second one is a yellow from Andi. The third one was a surprise when I walked out there today. :D Isn't it cool?
Attachments
Red and Yellow Pardancanda seedling from Andi
Red and Yellow Pardancanda seedling from Andi
Yellow Pardancanda seedling from Andi
Yellow Pardancanda seedling from Andi
Pardancanda from daylily farm
Pardancanda from daylily farm
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
oldcoot

O.C. really likes those....

Post by oldcoot »

Next year...........John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
John

Post by John »

First Pardancanda to bloom July 2005.
Attachments
First Pardancanda to bloom this year.  I prefer the clear ones, without spots, but that's just me.
First Pardancanda to bloom this year. I prefer the clear ones, without spots, but that's just me.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, that last one is really, really cool Pat!! :cool:

Thanks John for all that information! :D
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

I never knew of this plant before. They are truly beautiful! How big are the blooms? sun or shade? Would they grow here in zone 4/5? We are right on the border. What other flowers do you all have them planted with?. They look alot like what we call toad lilies. Are they the same? I tried planting some toad lilies but they never came up. maybe it is too cold here.............Jackie
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Jackie!

I am going to try to answer some of your questions....but then I want someone else to answer too... It's 5am, and I'm not the best....:lol:

Okay... The blooms are very small, but then they are in clusters .....I know if I don't show them to people, they might miss them....but now mine are pretty matured ( so you see the plant good) But don't let that stop you, cause you DO see them....they are very cool, and even my DH likes them....(that's saying a lot)...:lol:

I have them planted everywhere...:lol: I have my biggest batch, up front where you walk right past them....There you see them pretty good.....Lots of little blooms....So pretty!

I am in zone 5 and they should grow for you also...don't see why not....I can have hard winters too....

And as for they look like toad lilies......Yes, they do. But the foliage is different...here is where the smarter people should jump in...:lol:

Have a great day!! :D
John

Post by John »

Lucy has answered your questions well!

The flowers are often only 1 1/2 or 2 inches across, but can go up to 3 inches in diameter. I think if the flowers were larger, this would be a major perennial. That is something to select for when saving seeds, large flowers.

Sun is best, but will tolerate some part sun. They are hardy in zone 4 or maybe colder.

Mine are planted as a border to hardy Hibiscus. Nice contrast in foliage, but not sure the flower colors are especially compatible! The Pardancanda flowers are arranged in "sprays" like Orchids, and show to good effect against a green leafy background.

Toad lilies (Tricyrtis) also have an Orchid look to them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The foliage looks just like that of bearded iris, and I've had complaints that I shipped iris instead of lily when selling them :P

Because they can be attractive to iris borers I keep them in all day sun. Iris borers, at least for me, get worse in the shade.

Ours are full of buds right now, but a few days off from blooming. After seeing these I can't wait!

And that is really interesting that these are going to be called an iris :hmm:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Why, oh why, are they going to change the name? I've just got my DH and kids to be able to pronounde pardancanda, and now it's going to change.

My DH is slowly picking up on plant names other than hostas... He just figured out last week that dierama isn't "diarrhea" like he thought LOL!

And what's the deal wtih some ligularias changing to the name farfugium? I'd like to meet these powers-that-be who can change plant names around like that!!!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

thanks for the info. another variety to add to my list. I think they are very pretty......Jackie
New Topic Post Reply