Angelica gigas

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Rocco

Angelica gigas

Post by Rocco »

I did not plant any seeds,so I have no clue how it found a way to my garden.but I'm very happy it did.I noticed it this spring and thought it might be a weed.I decided to let it grow a bit to make sure,I am glad now I didn't compost it.I think it's a beautiful plant.I brought a piece to Viktoria and she ID it for me (she's amazing).I understand it is a form of Parsnip,and edible,the stalks can be candied.I shall look for a recipe.One thing bothers me,it is a magnet for yellow jackets.
Rocco.
Attachments
Angelica gigas 003.jpg
Angelica gigas 001.jpg
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I'm glad you made the last comment, Rocco! I shall be sure not to ever plant this, since I am deathly allergic to the SOBs.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I am also not fond of yellow jackets, but not allergic. So, just to say something nice about them: they do eat other bugs.

That is a beautiful angelica.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
New Topic Post Reply