Sedum, Rosy Glow

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Sedum, Rosy Glow

Post by LucyGoose »

I got this from Chris last year, but does anyone elses do this? How come it is just laying there? Do I need to cut it or something....

Thanks!!
Attachments
s 083.jpg
Justlearning

Sedum, Rosy Glow

Post by Justlearning »

Got mine locally & it is growing exactly the same - so what are we doing wrong?

Maura
NJ
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Justlearning! Welcome to Hallson's! :D

I wonder if we are to snip it like we do mums, to get it to stand up..... :roll:

Where is Chris?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I noticed noticed my 'rosy glow' in the garden just the other evening, there's not much other color out there right now. And yes, mine always looks just like that. I think that's typical of it's growth. I have quite a few sedum, some are upgright, others are sprawlers. This one is definately a sprawler.

If you snipped it early, it might stay in more of a bunch, but the stems don't seem stiff enough to hold it completely upright. I've never tried trimming it back, I just let it go wherever it wants.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Jane!! So is it the kind that will make roots from those stems laying on the ground? I looked today and it hasn't done that, just wondering....

Thanks again!! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

LG, I think they are tired. We tie ours up with shoe strings so they stay upward. :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

karma_Happy_Toes wrote:LG, I think they are tired. We tie ours up with shoe strings so they stay upward. :wink:
:o ... :lol: ...Well, I ain't doing that! :lol:
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Sedum Plop!

Post by Marlys »

I'm considering growing my large / tall species sedums in peony cages next year. I hate it when they plop flat but most do. I think it's nature's design to let sun get to those new little stems that are starting. They don't know it's fall & winter's on the way. If we were in warmer zones we could cut the old ones off, stick them in dirt somewhere to multiply, & watch the little babies grow.

MM
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My sedums used to flop all over everything else until I read they don't like rich soil and can be shortened during the summer. I've moved them to my parkway with the maple roots :lol: and now they're blooming on straight stems about 10 inches tall.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

So that's it, Mary Ann! :lol:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Kathleen, I shouldn't have said they don't like rich soil, rather that they like it too much. :lol:
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
HeatherMac

Post by HeatherMac »

I have many different sedums and all are planted in full sun in sandy, gravelly soil with some compost mixed in. Some varieties flop like that at the end of the season...Brilliant, Autum Joy, Strawberries & Cream and the variegated ones seem to be the best for staying up.
Heather
New Topic Post Reply