Green Mum

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Green Mum

Post by LucyGoose »

When this blooms, I always think of Dusty's friend, Hunter.

John

Post by John »

Lovely flower, Lucy! And I don't even like 'mums, just the fragrance! I did grow some rare ones one year, I think they were from Sunny-Slope or some similar name nursery. They were thistle-flowered, and also some with very long 'filaments' (tendrils?); problem was they are day-length sensitive, and did not begin to bloom until it was too cold.

Lucy, are these actually blooming right now in your zone 5?!

And, has anyone heard from Dusty? We were old friends... I sent her a box of plants back in July, but never heard from her, and have not seen her post here. She did not even pick up my PM from July 10!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks again John!!

Yep, it is blooming right now....I got it a couple years ago at St.Patrick day time.....You know, at the grocery store....:lol: and I abused them (I bought a few of them to send to Dusty for Hunter's garden cause he loved the color green) never planted them and then finally did plant them......Only problem with them is they get lanky even being cut back, so next year I will cut back more times.....I really think they look great with that green blooming right now....If you ever come across them at the grocery store, get them. They do take winter.... :D

I just called Dusty.....Not home.....but you know that girl......run, run, run...... :lol:
John

Post by John »

Hi Lucy,

When I was really into the 'mums, I was told that they needed to be pinched back all season long until around 4 July. And that they needed to be divided yearly-- each spring, each individual plant from the clump was to be seperated, planted out, and keep pinched each time it was possible!

Thanks for checking on Dusty, just don't know what became of her! She has sent me many wonderful plants over the years!! I had a daylily in mind for Hunter also, but it is so slow to multiply. Will be selecting one this summer for sure, have lots of incredible seedlings to choose from, now that the deer actually allowed me a summer to enjoy them bloom.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi John.....Just got off the phone with Dusty!! :lol: She says she owes you plants from 5 months ago....:o......She is working very long hours at her shop that she has opened up....Said to say Hi. She will send you the Jack-In-The -Pulpit in the spring....

I did do the pinching of all my mums, and the green one is the only one that didn't bush out....So next year I will really pinch it...... :D :o
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o This is lovely LG!! I really like the color! I have a mum that's still blooming too! :o :P We've had a beautiful fall!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
John

Post by John »

Lucy, thanks for calling Dusty, glad to hear she is okay. I remember now about her shop! She has sent me so much, so could never 'owe' me anything!

Okay, so you have been pinching your 'mums then. I do like that green one! Hmmm...springtime trading season will be here soon...John runs off to find Lucy's trade list...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ya know John, I *think* I got what you wrote in that teeny tiny print.....( I have tri-focals and still can't read the tiny....just the small........Like this.... :lol: I don't have a trade list....and if your remind me, I will be sure to give ya some..... :D
John

Post by John »

That's what I get for being silly, Lucy! It says John runs off to find Lucy's trade list, as I recall-- I can't read it either! I'll find some nice hosta or other to share in the spring with you.
Snow

Post by Snow »

I LOVE that mum 8-) They are very iffy here (as far as hardiness goes) if you plant them in the fall. I think if you plant them in the spring, they have a better chance. They still need all the pinching, and they need a foot of evergreen mulch after the ground freezes - and they need the foliage left on all winter. Might be worth the effort for a color like that :wink:
~*Snow*~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Really Snow? :o I never do none of that.....Although I don't cut it down till spring......I best shut up, cause now it won't come back next year! :lol:

Thanks, I do love that color, too!! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I always think of Hunter when I see blooms of green too. Thanks for sharing it.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Couldn't wait to see it.

Post by oldcoot »

OC has never seen a green Mum before. That's purty....
Good sharp picture too. That Old Coote named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

My mum used to turn green when Uncle Charlie came over with those nasty cigars. :eek: :D :D :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your soooooooo funny, Bro!! :???:

:lol:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

They look great, LucyGoose! :cool: Beautiful! :D You really do have a green thumb. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply