Hey, where did everybody go???

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Hey, where did everybody go???

Post by Pandora »

Yesterday it was 50F and I spent a couple hours finishing sucking up the shredded leaves with the mower. Boy, was I on borrowed time.

Today it is 37F and SNOW!!! :eek:

This poor guy braves winter almost alone. It emerges just before frost in the Fall, stays green all winter, blooms and has red berries in early Spring.

Sounds like he should be "down under". I actually crossed it off my spreadsheet. Now where is the undo function.
Attachments
Arum 'Italicum'
Arum 'Italicum'
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I too like you just love my
Arum's" they are the greatest and I planted them so I could see them out my window on a windy chilly day like today with that low wind chill. They look so happy.
Lucille
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Lucille,
Hi ! That is a great idea to plant them where I can see them from inside. I only have this one and by luck I can see it from where I sit at the table.

What other ones do you have? Do you have a good online source? I would like to get more. I bought this one locally and it was the only variety that they had.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

This is the catalog that I ordered mine from
http://www.dutchgardens.com/Search/search.asp
I also have one from Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page7.html
I am waiting for mine to get like my friends, hers is very mature and blooming in the late summer.
Lucille
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Lucille,
Thank you so much for the links. Maybe they adjust to the cold weather and change their bloom time. That would be pretty interesting. It has proved to be such a carefree and hardy plant, I sure plan on getting some more. I really like the arrow shaped leaves.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Hi Pandora
Mine looks like yours, but today it is covered with snow, hope it perks up when the weather warms up tomorrow. My intentions were to buy more each year to have them in more places as they are a great plant, but this year time got away from me. I also have Peltandra Virginica green Arrowleaf Arum it grows in my bog area and stays green all summer long, good looking plant and this year it really took off, I love it. see picture on this web site.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Cu ... 00262.html
Lucille
New Topic Post Reply