Mukdenia Rossii "Crimson Fans"

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Mukdenia Rossii "Crimson Fans"

Post by Ginger »

This is supposed to be a relative of Heuchera, so hopefully this is the right place to post the pic. I got this with my two new Heuchera I ordered with my XMAS gift certificate.
I have never heard of it, but I saw the picture on the website and decided I liked the look. Hopefuly it will do well in my garden! I have posted a pic of what it looks like now (mostly green) and what it will look like when it grows up!
I hope :o

Ginger
Attachments
All grown up. Hope mine looks like this!
All grown up. Hope mine looks like this!
34351.jpg (25.23 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Baby pic, it is supposed to start out green then turn as the leaves get older.
Baby pic, it is supposed to start out green then turn as the leaves get older.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I picked up one of these at hosta college and I am amazed at how many babies are coming up in the pot around the parent plant. Looks pretty, but I'm starting to wonder how invasive it will be...
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Invasive :o Uh oh, I did not think of that! Well, the place it is planted now has lots of room to grow and grow, so hopefully it will not take up more room than that :eek:
Time will tell! So Chris, do yours start out this green?

Ginger
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I just picked it up in march, but what I've read is that it starts green and then ages to red. We'll have to see :)
insam

Post by insam »

Funny, I just mentioned this in another thread titled 'Adonis'... should have looked here first. These plants are very common here in Korea and are used as a ground cover, so they will certainly spread, sort of like Pachysandra or some Asarum species. I'm not sure how invasive they would be in a place with dry summers or whether they spread well other than vegetatively. They would be best used in a patch ground cover situation rather than as a single specimen I think. Here I see them most often in mass plantings. I love them as they are more vigorous and more low-maintenance than many Saxifraga for example.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Looks like it will be fun to watch. And hear what it does in MI & OK gardens. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I don't think I would mind such a beautiful plant spreading about, in the right location. I'll look forward to hearing more about this after you've had it for a while.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Insam, how tall do these get? I think the tag said something about a foot, but I don't remember now. If it does not get taller than my hosta and overgrow them, it should look really pretty as a ground cover.

Ginger
insam

Post by insam »

In flower it gets perhaps a foot tall but the leaves are considerably shorter, maybe more like 5-8", and the leaves are the main attraction through summer. Today I saw it growing in plantings below a wall along with rhododendron and forsythia on the way to the airport, and it looked very nice, mostly in full sun. It will grow well in (dappled) shade too (probably better for most continental climates).
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks much! I have it in dappled sun so I look forward to seeing it mature. Do the ones you see in Korea have the coloring of the mature pic I posted? That pic is from the catalog, so I don't expect it to be as pretty, but I hope it is close :lol:

Ginger
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

What gorgeous foliage!! Please post more pics as yours grows! :)
New Topic Post Reply