Can you ID this purple coney flower, please?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Scoutsmum

Can you ID this purple coney flower, please?

Post by Scoutsmum »

My Friend just bought a house, and these are all along one side. The place is THICK with them!

"I don't remember saying that."
- my Dad.

My Hosta List
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Looks like an allium initially, but it is a bit early for them to be in bloom. Does the crushed foliage smell like onion?

My initial thought was camassia but their foliage isn't so broad.
Scoutsmum

Post by Scoutsmum »

HA HA HA

I'll go over and sniff some leaves tomorrow!
- my Dad.

My Hosta List
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oh shoot! I wanted one of those last Easter (or Mother's Day) when they had them at Fred Meyer. They aren't alliums. I can't remember what they were called. Ugh. Maybe it will come to me or someone else. They sure are pretty.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Are they Camassia? Mine are really starting to come up quickly this year, but they never had such a large central stalk to them.
Scoutsmum

Post by Scoutsmum »

I googled Camassia images, and what I saw didn't look like these. Camassia seem to be more elongated. These flowers are quit short and chubby.

I'll keep looking.
- my Dad.

My Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

The one I bought was labled caribbean lily. I got it from Smith and Hawkins. It's a house plant here, and it is done flowering for this year. I usually kill all house plants, so I will prob. never see it bloom again :( I did a search for it and it also gives Scilla peruviana, hope that helps.
Kas

Post by Kas »

That's what it is! I wanted to say hiacynth Spanish something or other. :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew that wasn't it, but just couldn't place the name.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply