Weigela Help

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

dlabod

Weigela Help

Post by dlabod »

Hi everyone- I need your help. I have two weigela and need to know how and when to prune it. It has flowers now. But, they are almost done. I live in zone 4. Thanks for your help. Deb, Rhinelander, WI
John

Post by John »

I'd prune it as soon as it has finished blooming, as needed for shaping.

If you don't get the advice you need here, try posting on the Woody Plant Forum.

John
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I don't prune my weigelia at all....

is it growing in an abnormal shape? If not, then leave it be!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I agree with John or you should do so when you want to take wood cuttings in the fall. We did last fall and have several variegated cuttings now rooted!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I prefer to thin out old growth on weigelia rather then prune it back. Like a forsythia, they can get really bushy on the ends where they are cut.
As far as starting cuttings, they are one of those plants that will start just about anytime. Super easy!
dlabod

Weigela

Post by dlabod »

Thanks everyone- I just planted my weigela last year and it doesn't have a very good shape. I don't think I want it to get real busy on the ends. I think I'll wait and see what it looks like next year. Thanks again for your help. Deb
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Some great advice already. I will usually cut them back hard after blooming to keep them compact but over time you will want to thin the oldest growth to keep them bushy. It probably depends on whether you want a compact shrub or a larger bush. I've seen some great looking specimens either way - or just leave it and let it do its thing ;)
New Topic Post Reply