Autumn Crocus

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Autumn Crocus

Post by Herb »

I saw these a couple of days ago while out for a walk - they were growing in a spot on some more or less vacant land near a local college where they, like a lot of daffodils and snowdrops, come up year after year. You could say that they've naturalised.

They are obviously NOT Saffron Crocus because they don't have Saffron's long, orange-red stigmas. They are, (I think) Colchicums.

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/68295629
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

pretty!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Herb

Post by oldcoot »

OC Hasnt seen any of his yet. But with really cxold weather expected this week-end, he sure hopes to......
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Those are pretty! I would like some of those, they would be nice at this time of year when everything has stopped blooming.

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Pretty picture. These look like true autumn crocus, probably crocus pulchella (literally, the pretty ones). I haven't seen mine yet (?), but my saffron crocus were in full bloom yesterday and I harvested the stamens. Pity my DFH isn't a fan of saffron as I am, but still, what other bulb pays off, investment-wise, in the kitchen?
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Nice pic, Herb. I think the voles ate my autumn crocus. They disappeared several years ago, drat the luck.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply